Riding Places

You were inside your school's weight room, throwing punches left and right along the punching bag. You were annoyed or anything, it was just a good stress killer. And as the year was winding down, a lot of people were a little worried over final grades. Heck, a lot more people were worried about High School and where everyone would go from there. In a world with superpowers heroes and villains and other different abilities and roles, people could be stressful and more and BLAH! Language! As you continued to think about the punch, your punches began to have more and more force behind it.

After a few more seconds, you reeled back and threw another punch, and knocked the bag off along the stand and onto the ground. You sighed and walked over to a fresh one and hanged it up against the poll. You sighed again as you got back into a combat set and were ready to attack again. Before you got ready to strike again, the door opened to the weight room, almost throwing it wide open.

Pony: Hello!

Your eyes widen by hearing her voice. Pony Tsunotori. Your friend throughout middle school and honestly, you had a bit of a crush on the girl. You were a bit shocked out of your groove but turned back to her and sighed a little.

(Y/N): Hey Pony.

Pony: Whatcha doin?

(Y/N): Nothing. Just some practice rounds.

Pony: Cools.

Pony walked into the room and offered up another smile as she passed you. You went back to the punching bag and threw a few hits.

Pony: So, what's the plan after middle school?

(Y/N): Go onto High School. Same as everyone else.

Pony: I meant like, are you going to go in for a heroics high school or a normal one?

(Y/N): I guess it would be a "normal" one then.

Pony: Really?! I would have thought that you, more than anyone else, would have been gunning for a pro hero spot.

(Y/N): I was never a fan of the spotlight.

Pony: Says the guy who comes here every day after class.

You rolled your eyes and went back to going at it on the punching bag. Pony continued to watch you in silence as you kept going. After a few more seconds of punching, you caved and turned back to her.

(Y/N): What is it?

Pony: Want to go do something? Grab a bit or something?

(Y/N): I'm broke. So, that's more than likely a fat no.

Pony: I can pay for it! If we go with fast food, then we should be alright!

(Y/N): You do know the school won't allow us to go off-campus without a legal adult, right? Unless your parents are here, we aren't going anywhere.

Pony slumped down and sighed a little. You went back to your punching bag, throwing a few crosses as she continued to ponder ideas of what to do this fine afternoon. After a few more seconds, you heard a snap and Pony ran up beside you.

Pony: I have an idea! Training match! The PE teachers wouldn't deny that of us, right?!

(Y/N): That's really all up in the air.

Pony: Well come on! Let's figure it out! If they let you use the weight room, I'm sure a sparring match would be allowed too!

Pony ran up to you and grabbed your hand. You were a bit taken aback but went along with her request anyway. Seriously though, she did have a valid point. So, who knows how well this could-you were denied instantly.

Worries about the task being "too violent" were their reasoning. Either way, you and Pony walked out of the school and waited along the back pathway for your parents to come and get you both. While you two were waiting, you could just sense that Pony was a bit downtrodden. You turned her and saw her looking slightly upset.

(Y/N): What is it?

Pony: Oh, nothing.

(Y/N): Nothing means something to you. So, what's up?

Pony: (Sighs) It's just...you're going to a regular high school. I'm gunning to be a pro hero. What if we never see each other again? What if you die and something else bad happens?!

(Y/N): Pony, you worry too much. Nothing bad is going to happen, ok. You'll go on and be a pro hero, I'll lay low here. Start working someplace else. Maybe I'll go into MMA.

Pony: That could get you hurt.

(Y/N): So could pro hero work. Honestly, it's not much different. Except for, of course, you get paid by the government to fight.

Pony looked down again. You perked up and placed a hand on her shoulder. She looked over to you and you offered her a smile. She was at a slight loss for words before she too, began to smile at you. You chuckled a little bit before looking out to the houses and fences behind your school.

(Y/N): Seriously, don't worry about me. That would be foolish. You need to start growing in your own career.

Pony nodded slightly before standing back up. She grabbed her bag and you saw her phone had gone off. You smiled at her, knowing she was leaving for the day.

(Y/N): I'll catch you next week.

Pony: Yeah, likewise. At least I hope.

(Y/N): What do you mean?

Pony: I'm touring a few places next week. So, I may be out for most of the next week.

(Y/N): Oh...but hey at least you are focusing on your career. So, uh, where are you going to tour?

Pony: Just a few places: Matthews, uh Washington, UA High in Japan.

You stopped nodding along the second she said that. And your heart broke a little.

(Y/N): Whoa, whoa! Back that up! UA? In Japan? Why would you go all the way out there?

Pony: I mean..why wouldn't I? I'm half Japanese and UA has the greatest hero's program of all time. I would be a fool not to even attempt to go there.

(Y/N): Fair point I guess.

Your heart still hurt. But her point was valid. She would be a fool for not accepting UA. She would be a fool to not even try to apply for it. Soon enough, her old fears became your own fears. What if you two never saw one another again? Well, you had a one-sided crush on her, so it's not like she would miss you all that much. But who's to say. Maybe?

You were shocked out of your mind when you saw Pony tilting her head to look at you. You sat up and saw her smile at you. You returned the smile and regained your usual composure.

(Y/N): You should be happy. It's not that easy to get into UA from what I've heard.

Pony: Yeah. It is a challenge. But I do think I'm up to it.

(Y/N): And that's all that matters. Honestly, you should be proud. And there is nothing saying you can't come back for a visit between semesters.

Pony: I guess so, yeah.

(Y/N): You'll be fine, Pony. Trust me.

Pony nodded as her phone went off again. She smiled at it and then back to you.

(Y/N): You gotta run. I'll see you later then.

Pony: Yeah! Totally!

Pony smiled at you as she began to walk away. Once she was out of view, you sighed and leaned back against the wall you were at. You pinched the bridge of your nose and just sighed. You released your breath and looked down the road where she skipped off, half expecting her to come back and see you again. Of course, that didn't happen. Still, at least she was following her dreams. Just like a hero would.