CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: "nothing good starts in a getaway car"

Start from the beginning

"I thought you couldn't make it?" Migo asked him as he dusted off the early snow of September. They just found out that it was already snowing outside when Migo saw it by Jacob's coat. It's the first snow of the year.

Jacob sighed in front of him as he placed his bag on a table near them. "I had to work double paced just so I could still fetch you here. I see you haven't cleaned yet—Wait, darling, you have dirt on your face," Jacob went close to him and wiped the said dirt away using his thumb. Migo's face was burning.

"Our customer is watching," he said with his flushed face and turned his head the other way. He slightly pushed Jacob to sit on the chair and he went ahead to get something for his lover.

"You're still waiting for him?" Jacob asked when he saw Taehyung by the corner of the library. The other who was pretending to be reading faced Jacob with a surprised look on his face. "I hope he arrives this time. You look a little... stressed out," he added.

"Yeah," Taehyung just let out. After that he just hung his head low and tried to focus with what he was reading. Someone went towards his way and took the coffee and replaced it with another one. "Hey, you don't have to—"

"You know, if he truly loved you, he should at least attend one of your invitations, right? If he let you explain your side, maybe something has changed already. That dumb kid doesn't seem to realize how much you love him and you keep on waiting for him to come to you," Migo blabbered and tsked, bringing the tray with him and proceeded to give the other cup to Jacob.

Since Taehyung started going at the café, he felt like he instantly became friends with Migo. They would often converse when there are no customers and drink coffee together whenever it's raining. But today is a little different. Is it a good thing that it's snowing outside? Is it a good sign?

"Don't call him dumb. It's natural that he doesn't want to see me because he's been hurt," Taehyung replied and let out a big sigh. Migo just shook his head and placed the tray he had on the counter.

"Your meeting time is eight o'clock, right? Do you think he would still arrive this time?" Migo said and joined Taehyung on his table. The other placed his chin on his hand that sat on the table. "Of all the books you read, you kept on reading this book. Why so?" Migo noticed the book near the cup and tried to scan its pages.

"The main character reminds me of Jeongguk."

"You're talking about him again! This is why you can't move on. You know what, forget it. We'll be closing the shop soon. You have to stop waiting for him or you will lose yourself too with all of these thoughts," Migo said and took the book from him. He started marching to the direction of the shelves and returned the book to its place.

Taehyung who felt even more hopeless by Migo's words just drank his coffee. After taking a few sips he placed it once again on the table. Should he stop pursuing Jeongguk and accept the fact that he's now tied with someone else?

A few more minutes had passed and it's nearly 10 o'clock. The chairs of the café were already upside-down and the whole place looked clean already. Jacob flipped the open signage to finally confirm that the shop is closing. Taehyung felt so dumb as tears started falling down his face.

He stood and wore his beret hat that sat on the couch of café for hours already. He fixed his coat and started sniffling and wiping away his tears. "Thank you so much for assisting me, Ma'am. Just tell Migo I'll be going ahead," Taehyung informed her but Migo's mother was quick to notice the redness on his eyes.

"Are you sure you're going already? You can rest a little longer here. We can't let you go with that situation, my child. We want you safe," The old woman said with his sincere worried eyes.