21.03. - 03/21 - Recreating the miracle of childbirth

The room was strangely quiet when Annus woke up. Something felt off. »Unus?« No answer. He got up, walking over to the other bed. It was empty. Which probably wasn't a good thing. He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and made his way downstairs. The tavern was empty, safe for a drunk guy lying on the bench next to the fire and snoring loudly.

Like Unus, he spotted the light coming from the barn, and was quite relieved when he found his friend there. Or rather, he would have been, hadn't a wave of pain almost taken him from his feet. His stomach felt as if somebody had jabbed a burning knife into it and twisted it a few times.
His nails dug into the wood of the barn door. His breath came in hurts as he tried not to collapse under the sudden onslaught. »What the hell was that?«
»Mama's having a baby,« Unus groaned, holding his stomach. It didn't exactly help clear things up.
The pain went as fast as it came. Unus used the time between the waves to briefly explain the hippocamp situation. Annus let himself fall besides him. He looked up at the beautiful creature before her next contraction made him close his eyes so hard he saw colorful spots dancing in front of him.