Chapter 31

Maze paced the room like a caged animal, swinging her hell-forged blade. She only had the one since she had lent the other to Trixie. She hoped that the kid was able to reach the blade before those bastards took her. Maze had never felt this desperate before. This helpless. You'd think it was her daughter who was stolen. The feeling was more than a little unsettling.

"Hey," Eve said as she stopped the demon's pacing by hugging her. "We're gonna find her, it's gonna be okay." The woman promised softly. Maze sighed. If it was almost anyone else, she would've given a sarcastic retort, saying that they couldn't possibly control that, but instead she quietly wrapped an arm around her girlfriend and nestled her chin in the crook of Eve's neck.

Maze was too shaken up to care of who witnessed her softer side.

"Hell's greatest badass, ladies and gentlemen." Michael said with a sarcastic smile. His smile fell away as he ducked to avoid the blade sailing for his head. It embedded itself in the wall behind him. He wisely kept silent after that.

"Oh, shut up, scarface. None of this would be happening if it weren't for your stupid little sibling rivalry with Lucifer." Irisia said irritably. Michael gritted his teeth. Irisia then dug deeper into the wound. "You really have to get over your inferiority complex, or else you might end up starting the apocalypse. And that's not even a real thing! But you'll make it a reality."

"Well, at least I'm not still pining over a dead demon." Michael retorted, knowing full well that he had hit her where it hurts.

"YOU LITTLE BASTARD!" Irisia yelled before lunging at him.

Lucifer surprised everyone by being the one to step between the two. "Beatrise is missing! And I can't believe I'm the one saying this, but there is no time for anyone's shenanigans!"

In the background on the couch, Linda handed Charlie off to Amenadiel. "I need to go the bathroom real quick." Irisia saw the doctor walk towards the bathroom, and it took her infuriated mind a minute too late to remember, "Oh, shit! Linda, wait-"

"HOLY CRAP!" Linda exclaimed from the bathroom. They heard the door slam, and moments later a very confused Linda stood in the archway. She turned to Lucifer and asked, "Um, are you aware that there is a bloody, half naked man, tied up in your bathtub?"

————————-

Ryliel stopped at Ella's door and knocked. "Hey, Ella? Are you home?" The only answer Ryliel received was a squawk, indicating that Margeret was home. Ryliel then tried the doorknob, and frowned when he found it unlocked. Maybe Ella forgot to lock it before leaving? He certainly hoped that was the case. But on the off chance it wasn't, he opened the door and walked into the apartment.

Ryliel immediately smelled the chloroform when he stepped inside. He closed the door behind him so Margeret wouldn't escape and began to search for the source of the smell. As he did this, he tried to reassure himself that there was a perfectly good reason for Ella to have chloroform in her apartment. She was a forensic scientist, maybe it was for work. Why she would need chloroform for work, he wasn't sure.

Ryliel froze when he saw the white rag on the floor of her kitchen. His heartbeat quickened when he noticed the fallen appliances, specifically the kitchen knife that had a small brown feather stuck to it. He slowly bent down to pick up the knife and rag. The rag reeked of chloroform and had a small stain that was the exact color of Ella's lipstick.

It didn't take a genius to figure what had occurred here.

"Varlien..."

——————-

"You were torturing a guy WITHOUT ME?!" Maze yelled. "This is like you going back to Hell ALL OVER AGAIN!"

Eve put a hand on Maze's shoulder. "Uh, babe, I don't think that this is important right now."