Chapter 18

Irisia and Dan had received a tip from an anonymous source saying that they had seen Walter Mallard, but it had unfortunately turned out to be a dead end. The tip had said that there was a vehicle matching Walter's (a light blue van from the 70s), parked next to a taco stand.

It hadn't seemed like much, but no one had anything else to go on, so the duo had decided to check it out in Dan's car. But the van was no where to be found.

Irisia was currently sitting in the passenger seat of Dan's car, waiting on the owner in annoyance. They both had had little to eat that day, so Dan had decided to grab them both tacos at the stand nearby.

Dan then opened his car door, and handed one of the greasy paper bags over to Irisia. She grimaced when grease got on her solid black designer leggings. She was very glad that she had opted to wear these instead of the white ones.

"Bloody hell.." She muttered, picking up the expression from her brother.

She snatched several napkins from Dan and spread them across her lap before setting the bag down.

Dan didn't bother too much with napkins, and dug into his chicken tacos. He groaned lightly when he chewed on it. These were some of the best tacos in the better part of Los Angeles.

Irisia watched how he ate the meal for a moment. She had never actually eaten tacos before. The dish had never seemed appealing to her. And in Heaven, the meal choices were limitless. So there was no reason for the angel to choose tacos over a good lamb chop, drizzled with mint chutney... Well, now she was making herself hungry for heavenly meals. And not this... mess.

She slowly took the taco out of the bag, like she had seen Dan do, and cursed when a piece of chicken fell out onto the napkins on her lap. "Son of a bitch..."

Dan watched her struggle with it in amusement. Irisia always appeared so confident of herself and in control. It was weird seeing her unsure of her actions. "You have eaten a taco before, right?" He asked.

She glared at his amused tone, but couldn't deny it. "No, I haven't. There are much more appealing things to eat back home."

Dan's eyes and smile widened. "Seriously? Your telling me that you've never eaten a single taco. And your like what, a billion years old?"

Irisia's glare intensified. "It's rude to ask a woman her age, Dan." Was all she could think to say. Dan chuckled.

"Okay, okay. I guess women of all species don't enjoy talking about their age." He muttered jokingly.

"Well, first off, your not supposed to hold the taco like it's a rabid animal." He pointed out.

Irisia glanced down at the taco, realizing that she was, in fact, holding it as if the food held a threat against her. "Just hold it like this," Dan instructed as he held his own taco. Irisia glared, feeling insulted.

"I'm an angel who has seen and done more than your mortal mind could comprehend. I can figure it out myself." She stated, trying to feign more indignation than she actually felt. But did hold the meal the way Dan had instructed.

Dan just shrugged, used to hearing worse insults delivered by Lucifer.

Once Irisia took a bite though, she groaned in pleasure. Now she saw what she had been missing! The perfectly grilled chicken, roasted vegetables, and wonderfully put together spices were incredible.

She finished the meal in five minutes, savoring every crumb. She even licked her fingers afterwards before wiping them with her napkins.

"I haven't groaned that much since the twelfth century," Irisia remarked.