chapter xxix - explanations

after laying there for a while i get up.

no sign of negan.

i put my heels back on, heading out the door. i walk past the lounge where the wives hang out, sherry catches up with me, "y/n, where have you been? i've been looking for you."

"why? something wrong?"

"no, it just seems like you're the only one who'll talk to me now."

i smile at her, "perks of having the balls to stand up to someone, am i right?"

we laugh, she walks with me back to her room, "but really, where were you?"

"taking a nap."

"in negan's room? i saw him carrying you up here but i didn't know what had happened."

"well, i was reading a book and i fell asleep, i woke up in his room," i say, telling her the half-truth.

"y/n if i'm being honest, he's never acted like this with the other wives. he's different with you."

i look down, not knowing what to say.

"is that a bad thing?"

"not necessarily, it depends. how do you feel?"

"it's weird. i sort of hate him for what he did but i also think i like him. i'm not sure."

"oh, so you do like him?"

"yea?"

"oh honey, no, i didn't mean to sound judgemental, it's just that jess likes him too. and i honestly think she would fight you for him."

"it's not like i could get him to choose me over all the other wives. sometimes i think he likes me and other times i think i'm just another woman for him to screw. he keeps sending mixed signals."

"men do that. but usually, us girls are the only ones that can set them straight. for him, that's you."

i wipe a tear off of my cheek. she reminded me so much of beth. and god, i missed her so much. "what's wrong?" sherry asks, trying to comfort me.

"nothing," i smile and try to get her myself, "you just remind me of my sister. and i really miss her."

"aw," sherry exclaims, hugging me. "i had a sister, i get what you're feeling. i miss mine so much."

"god, i'm sorry. it got so emotional. on another note, how are things with you and dwight?" i ask once i make sure no one is around us.

"how did you know?"

"i saw him leaving your room."

"it's been kinda rocky," we walk into my room, "with negan making me his wife and then making dwight his right-hand man, it's been hard for him to see past the part of us being 'married' in a sense."

"did you and dwight no each other before?"

"we were - well are - still married."

"oh sherry, i'm so sorry. did negan know this when he made you his wife?"

"no, and i don't plan on letting him know. please don't tell him."

"of course not, your secret is safe with me, i promise."

after sitting there for a minute i decide to change the topic, "so what did you do before all this?"

"i cleaned houses, i was in nursing school. how about you?"

"well, i was in my freshman year of college, studying for pre-med."

we continue conversing, eventually, she leaves and goes back to her room.