chapter i - home sweet home

"woah! be careful, y/n. didn't mean to scare ya", eddy says as he grabs my arm.

"well, if you wouldn't sneak up on me, i wouldn't have tripped," i explain as he pulls me up. even though he's my uncle, he still creeps me out. 

he smiles widely at me, showing off his unusually straight teeth. "sweetie, you're lucky i was here. wouldn't want you getting hurt. be grateful."

i give him a quick - and awkward - 'whatever' and hurriedly walk back inside. i stroll to the twins' room to help my mom with my little nieces. "hey, mom." 

"hey, y/n. mind helping me with these two?" she chuckles. rory and rose are both crawling oddly fast in opposite directions. i grab rose before she gets too close to the door and set her back in her crib.

"oh no you don't," i run to catch rory, who had made her way to the door, and place her beside rose. 

"those two move quite fast, don't they?" my mother says.

"that they do," we chuckle. the thud of footsteps can be heard, incomputable whispers filling the air. i turn my head to see who it was, beth and noah's faces meet my eyes as they open the door hand-in-hand.

beth waves at me with a silent smile, she's never been much of a talker. on the off chances that she did talk, she was the kindest - and sternest - girl you'd ever meet. beth had gotten trapped here when the outbreak started and ever since then, she's gone silent - well, ever since the one phone call she'd gotten to make back to her family's farm.

"well, long time no see. you've been out there with dad for hours," i smile at noah as he walks over to rose and rory.

"yea, dad sure knows how to keep me busy," he sighs with utter exhaustion spilling over his features. "at least the wall is fixed. now, i'd like to spend time with my favorites," he smiles at beth, rose, and rory. "you guys can stay, i guess," he points at mom and i.

"well, i guess i better go see what your crazy father has gotten himself into now. these two are just so hard to put down," mom says as she kisses the twins' cheeks. i say a quick goodbye and head out with my mom. as we walk towards dad, who is at the end of the driveway, she asks, "when is the next run?" 

"i'm not sure, i'll have to talk to uncle daryl. he probably won't let me go this time, not after what happened last time," my eyes widen as i recall the last run's events.

*flashback to 'last time'*

i hopped out of noah's truck and head into the seemingly undiscovered store. we do our usual sweep, but then i see something that catches my eye, a korn record. my parents and siblings lacked when it came to music taste, about time i showed them something better.

as i clear the debris to get to the vinyl, daryl tells me it's time to go. "just one more minute," i say as i'm about to grab the disk. a zombie had a different idea and grabs me instead. the shelving of course chooses now to topple over, trapping me with the zombie's face two feet from mine. i fought as hard as i could but i couldn't get it off. right as i'm about to give in and let it make me one of the disgusting flesh-eaters, daryl and noah lift the shelving off of me and onto the walker, slashing right through its brain. 

"you really can't listen to me, can ya?" he snarls.

i quickly hop up and grab the record, "nope. you know you love me," i place a kiss on his cheek as noah chuckles.

"you're lucky i love ya, kid," he groans as we make our way to the truck.

"aw, i love you too," i smile at him.

*end flashback*

"still don't regret it, all of your music tastes have been upgraded," i say as we laugh.

"what are you two giggling about over here?" my dad smiles at us as he wipes his dirty hands off onto an old rag.

you see, this would be a great family-bonding moment or whatever if smelly eddy - the nickname i deemed fit for him all the way back in second grade - wasn't here. i try not to let the moment die but it most definitely does when eddy cuts in.

"yea y/n, fill us in, bug," eddy smiles. i resist the extremely strong urge to roll my eyes at the mention of the nickname, the sacred name my late nana called me. she always told me to be nice to eddy, that he was just trying to show his love. i love you nana, but i would not call that love. not an appropriate one, at least. i try my hardest to contain a shiver as the memories of the sly sexual comments he's made to me all my life come to light.

dad always called him out on it and stood up for me, but that didn't stop eddy from doing it when dad wasn't around. dad has grown to resent him, i can see it in his eyes when he looks at him or when he's brought up in a conversation. he never leaves me - or any of the females - along with eddy unless he has to. he always places himself in between us or pushes me behind him. honestly, i think the only reason he hasn't kicked eddy out was because of their mother. nana always tried her best with those two. he looked nothing like dad, nana must have been quite an adventurous gal back in her day. good for her, but not necessarily good for me.

so out of respect for nana, i fill them in without making a smart remark. once we make it to the door, though, i dismiss myself and head over to daryl and carol's house. those two confuse me, i never know if they love or hate each other. i still wasn't sure if i thought they'd be a cute couple. but, it wasn't really my business so i pushed the thought to the back of my mind.

"y/n, what are you doin' here? shouldn't you be getting ready for our run, kid?" daryl asks. "i ain't waitin' all damn day like last time. you and beth ain't gotta get all fancied up for some moving corpses," he says as he sharpens his knife. he rests back against the fenced-in porch while i climb up the steps.

with a wide grin, i answer, "that's what i came to ask about, thank you so so so much uncle daryl!" i say as i tightly wrap my arms around him.

"you're welcome. alright now, get off me," he says. i chuckle and let him go.