chapter iii - hard truths

tw: death, gore

put his ass in line," the man says pointing at eddy with his bat. eddy's smile drops.

"i thought we had a deal, negan!" eddy snarled at him. of course eddy sold us out. i couldn't expect much more from that bitch.

"woah now, bud. get your ugly ass out of my face and in the damn line. we don't have any deal, did you really think i was going to let a guy who sells out his own flesh and blood into the saviors? fuck no. guess it's time to learn the hard truth. do not turn your back on family, did your mama never teach you that?" negan replies.

after - who i guess is his right-hand man - puts him in line, negan asks, "who's the leader of this fine little family?" a man shoves my dad forward, "well then, let's get this show on the road!" he continues to spit his threats but i'm not even thinking about him.

rory. rose. judith. carl.

that's who i was thinking about. how the hell could i save them? there are too many people here for me to take down, but i'll stop at nothing to ensure their safety, even if i have to die.

my thoughts were interrupted when a bloody bat with bits of rotten flesh appears in front of my face. "earth to whoever the hell you are," he says with what seems to be his usual, sinister smirk.

i glare at him. "what?" i snarl.

"you better lose the attitude, darlin'," he says as his smirk disappears, "that shit will not fly. that was your one chance, next time - there will be no next time."

i just look back down at the ground, hoping i wouldn't do anything that might seem like an 'attitude' to him. he kneels, puts his finger under my chin, making my gaze meet his, and says, "what's your name, darlin'?"

"y/n," my voice is cold and shallow.

his grin reappears, "pretty name for a pretty gal. what in the hell are you doing with a shitty leader like him?" he asks pointing his bat at dad.

"he's my father."

"well damn, i could make the connection with that boy and little girl, but you too? ain't no way in hell!" he says after removing his finger from my chin. he then motions for them to put judith in the rv. i reached out for her but he slaps my hand down and says, "uh uh, no. you answer me. how the hell do you know him? and do not lie."

"i'm adopted. he's my father."

he chuckles, "happy little family, huh?"' he stands and walks over to noah, "well not anymore." he slams the bat down on noah's head. i gasp at the sight, falling slightly forward. you'd think my fight or flight would kick in, but it doesn't. i freeze as the air thickens and everything around me becomes blurry.

he stands over noah, who's choking back blood and stuttering something. "you still there buddy? damn, you just took a hell of a hit! wait, now i think he's trying to say something." he kneels down beside him, smiling.

"b-beth i-i'll find y-you," he chokes out. i look over to see beth in tears, crying out in pain.

"that right there is some sad shit, but," he smiles as he stands, "back to work." he continues slamming down onto noah's head. i want to vomit, but i can't. i can't look away and i can't breathe. i was watching my best friend get his head smashed in. my world was collapsing more with every swing.

mom murmurs something along the lines of 'my baby boy' so low that i was the only one who could hear it. dad stared blankly ahead, he was trying to keep himself from screaming. i could see it in his eyes, he wanted to so bad, he wanted to stop negan, but he was scared of something. he was scared of negan killing someone else.

negan just keeps hitting. he's ruthless, what the hell is wrong with him? how could he do this to someone? i didn't have time to process it, i didn't even see him come over to me. he bends down beside me and says, "sweetie, save the tears, we are just getting started!" his men chuckled. did they find this amusing? noah's head being beaten in was amusing?

"damn, lucille is thirsty tonight! she's mine alright!" he says like a proud dad holding their kid's trophy. honestly, it was even creepier how proud he was of it. he had to be some kinda fucked in the head to find this fun.

negan walks over to eddy and taps him on the shoulder with his bat, still covered in noah's blood. "your turn, buddy."

eddy doesn't have time to reply as the bat - 'lucille' - swings down on him. i look away, unable to watch this again. but i look right at noah's corpse. my eyes blink away from noah and straight into my parents' eyes. was this my fault? did i do this? i killed noah, didn't i?

my breathing became labored, my head spun as i choked on the air. my vision became spotty and i fell forward into my hands.

"i did this. i did this. i killed my own brother. i killed noah. i took rory and rose's father from them. i took beth's boyfriend. i-i..." i start mumbling under my breath. wow, i'm really going crazy. so much that negan stops swinging his bat and walks over. i'm gasping for air as he watches me, smiling.

"damn this girl really has gone crazy!" he laughs, his men following. i suddenly snap back and nail him right in the jaw. he deserved that and more. as he falls back, i climb on top of him, punching him again. suddenly his men are on top of me, pulling me off of him and kicking me until negan shouts, "no! i got this." fear rose inside of me, higher than ever before. my pulse skyrocketed as he came over to me. no, dammit, no. he couldn't kill me too. before i could see what he was doing, my vision was hazy, and then everything went black.