01

"People make promises for what?"

─────────────

Life is one of this things that no matter how hard you think about it, no matter how much you research on it, there will never be a proper answer to.

Like what is life? What is the reason for life? Why should you live life?

That's exactly what I was questioning, standing in the middle of the gas station, looking out to the depressing evening.

People walked past me, staring at me. But I would too if I noticed a girl just standing there like a clown.

"Uhm, excuse me miss, you're blocking the ramen."

I was pulled out of my thoughts, as I looked down to the little boy standing in front of me.

"Oh, yeah, sorry." I moved out of the way, and once again stared outside.

Then I felt something patting me.

"Could you, uh, help me get that?" I turned around to face the little boy, smiled, and grabbed the ramen packet he was pointing towards.

"Thank you miss!"

He took the packet out of my hand, and ran towards his mother who was waiting for him at the cash register.

After that, I had decided that I would do something productive, and made my way to our family weapon-smith.

I parked my car once I had arrived, and looked around the area.

It was a dark winter night, and although it wasn't that late, the lack of streetlights and stars made it seem so.

There wasn't a single soul around and all the shop window shutters were down, graffiti all over them. A few rundown cars, with the hoods open and windows smashed, were scattered here and there.

It wasn't a very pleasant place to be at night, but that just made it all the more interesting.

I lifted up a shutter of a shop, coughing at the dust that blew up in my face.

"Aera, how nice of you to show up!" I smiled at the lady who came up to hug me.

She kissed my cheek, her way of showing that she missed me.

"Hey, aunt."

"You fool! You need to visit me more often!" She said, smacking the back of my head.

"Ow- ow- okay, sorry!" She looked at me upset, before giggling.

"Well now that you are here, I wanna know how is everyone?" I sat down in one of the worn out chairs, taking the glass of water from out of her dry and cracked but hardworking hands.

"Everyone is doing good, and surprisingly Jieun has found herself someone."

"Oh really?!"

We talked for a bit, catching up with each other.

"I guessed we carried away there talking to each other. But do you know where he is?"

She instantly knew who I was talking about and smiled, pointing to a door. "He's always in there."

I got up and went over, opening the door.

The male who occupied the room, looked up, surprised to see me.

"Oh my god, are my eyes tricking me right now?"

"Nice to see you too, Yoojung." He came up to me and gave me a hug.

Me and Yoojung's friendship started when we just in nappies, and ever since we stuck together like glue.

And despite being busy with our own lives once we finished school, we always found time for each other.

"You seriously need to come over more often." I sat down in front of his workbench, sighing.

"Life is hectic." We both laughed, enjoying the moment.

"So let me get to the point."

Half an hour later and I had walked out with an upgraded Beretta M9.

I jumped in my car and I was off home.

I drove past fields, looking out of the window up to the clear, dark sky. The wind blew in my face, taking away all the worries with it.

Past the trees stood the grand building I called home, and I smiled at the thought of all the hard work my parents had put into making it.

Yes, the hard work they did was wrong, but nevertheless it was still hard work, and I was proud of them.

I pulled up to the front gates, the guards letting me in.

I had noticed that there was more cars than usual, but I ignored it. I parked my car and got out, walking inside.

All the talking that was going on stopped, and all eyes were on me.

"Aera, where have you been?! I couldn't reach you."

I looked around and there seemed to be a formal gathering happening.

"My phone died four hours ago." Mom smiled softly, before nodding, and everyone went back to what they were doing.

"You go and freshen up, okay?" I nodded leaving the room.

Honestly, I wasn't sure what was going on downstairs, but I knew that there was a reason behind the gathering.

My parents have never held anything without a reason, and most of the times it's to gain something.

Putting all that aside, I changed into something presentable, and made my way back downstairs.

But before I could enter the living room, my parents pulled me away.

"Aera, we need you to do something."

I nodded once they told me everything. I went into the living room and began doing what they had said.

I greeted them all, putting on an innocent look as I tampered with their phones once I got the chance too.

It was just a means of keeping tabs on everything and everyone, and you had to do so if you were to be the best.

No harm would be done, and everyone could walk out the door in one piece.

That was unless they chose to be silly and do something to anger us.

"I would definitely not recommend doing that, however."