13

"What is love?"

─────────────

The first thing that came into my head after waking up, was the encounter I had late last night.

My hand unconsciously went to my lips, as my head began thinking of the many outcomes that could have happened, if maybe, just maybe, I let it happen.

And then I had a mini tantrum at my incapability to have a decent love life, at ten in the morning.

So, all in all, my morning was going great.

I finally decided to get up, and when I went downstairs, I immediately froze halfway into the living room.

"The CEO of 'Yoon Enterprise' has announced his son's engagement to the daughter of CEO of 'BioChoi Research'. The news was announc-"

"What the hell?!"

Everyone turned to look at me, as I stood there, trying to process it in.

"Why do you look like you just seen a ghost?" Daehwi snorted, throwing a pillow at me to try and get me out of my daze.

"Must've been you." Jieun retorted for me, high-fiving Gikwang who was beside her, making Daehwi roll his eyes and mumble something about how he's always bullied because he's the youngest.

"Dear, stop standing there like a fish out of water, and go have breakfast."

Unconsciously I nodded, my feet making their way to the kitchen, where the housekeeper stood, hunched over the stove.

"Good morning, what would you like for breakfast, Aera sweetie?"

"Morning to you too, Aunt. I'm okay with anything."

She nodded, hushing me to sit down as she took out a plate, filling it with all sorts of different breakfast items.

I began to get lost in my thoughts as I angrily chewed the toast, not caring if Aunt Joo was staring at me, thinking 'what the hell has gotten into this girl?'

Why was I angry? I don't have the answer, unfortunately.

Was it because of last night? Or the news I just heard? Whatever it was, it was beginning to irritate me.

"You okay there, dear?" The housekeeper raised an eyebrow, signaling to my aggressiveness on eating mere toast.

"Yeah, I just need to blow off some steam."

─────────────

I didn't know how long it had been, but it must have been a while, my knuckles slowly turning red from the repetitive impacts on the punching bag, yet I still wasn't feeling satisfied.

With deep breaths, I dropped onto the floor, wiping away the sweat gathering on my forehead.

My heartbeat was erratic, yet it was overpowered by the marathon of thoughts running inside my head. I let out a groan, growing tired but not physically, rather mentally.

I felt like I could still go on, but I needed something else to distract me. Luckily, someone walked in the gym before I would lost my mind.

"Wanna spar?"

It was Gikwang, already in his workout clothes. He threw me a pair of boxing gloves, before putting on his own.

Once I put them on, he called me over to the ring that was used for fighting, already in a fighting stance with his gloved fists up.

"Now, show me what you got."

─────────────

"Why don't you look happy?"

Jeonghan sighed, continuing to throw the ball in the air and catch it, while he remained lying down on the sofa.

"I don't know."

"It's probably the fact he has to marry your sister." Joshua snorted, making Jeonghan throw the ball at him.

"She's not that bad, y'know?"

"Seungcheol, shouldn't you be more overprotective over your sister?" He received a laugh in response, like what Joshua said to him was a joke.

"Please, I couldn't care less about her."

The male that was lying down previously, now sat upright, running a hand down his face as if he was going through a mid-life crisis. 

"I'm just tired, I guess."

Seungcheol and Joshua gave a look to each other, fully aware there was something off with the male in front of them.

He wasn't acting like his usual cocky, obnoxious and flirtatious self, and whenever they saw him, he was always lost in thought, letting them take him away to a faraway land.

A land where everything was normal, no mafia nonsense, no enemies, just himself and his loved ones. Just the way he wanted it.

Alas, the male could do nothing but dream, letting the fantasies consume his being with every breath, unable to stop wondering of what it could all be like.

Of what it would be like, with her.

─────────────

The day was going by painfully slow, and I was unsure of how long it had been that I was blankly staring at the clock, in hope of time speeding up but it was doing quite the opposite.

There was absolutely nothing to do, nowhere to be, nothing to take my mind away from certain people.

Slowly banging my head against the wall, I contemplated my life decisions, it hitting me in the face that I, Lee Aera, made some terrible decisions.

And one of those many terrible decisions, was existing to be Yoon Jeonghan's enemy.

Oh how great life is!

He constantly infiltrated my thoughts, with no sign of stopping, as every little detail brough my mind back to his god-like face.

I thought about all our encounters, realising that pretty much in all of them, I was left with a flurry of feelings in every possible place in my body, which was something I definitely did not want to admit out loud.

And one encounter, especially, stood out to me like a sore thumb.

The one where he 'proposed'.

God, was he serious about getting married and I, being the dumb fool I am, took his words lightly, brushing it off as him trying to get inside my head, particularly because it would never have been possible anyway.

I don't know why it bothered me so much.

It's not like I cared, I shouldn't care.

After all, he was my enemy.

But no matter how many times I tried to convince myself of that, I knew that deep inside, my heart was screaming otherwise. 

"Someone call the doctor, we got a case of the lovesick."