68: Fascination And Fear

"Rise and shine-- it's 6 am and you're already up?"

It's more like my brain couldn't stop thinking about stuff it forgot to sleep. After the satisfying bath, my mind was ready to start another round of worry and overthinking.

"Indeed... Now, what do you want me to do?"

Raising the teacup the servant brought me a while ago, I drank the entire tea before glancing at the man who didn't bother introducing himself since yesterday. The night was spent reflecting and overthinking that I finally decided to eradicate that small fragment of fear. Fearing him won't do any good.

Pushing the door close, his dark hair swayed and a smirk decorated his porcelain face as he walks in front of me.

"We're going to the market."

We're? Placing the teacup on the table, I ran my fingers through my hair and tilted my head to the right.

"Why not send your servants?"

I asked, grabbing every strand of my hair and using a white ribbon to tie it. My hair was fastened in a low ponytail.

"They can't go outside or they'll drop dead."

"Oh," I blankly exclaimed and rose. "If that's the case, you need to give me some boots and coats. I can't just walk outside in this attire."

"I already prepared it." The door opened and the butler entered the room while holding the things needed. He carefully handed it to me and I wasted no time doing what needs to be done.

"Are these yours?" I ask while adjusting the same coat but different color he's wearing. It was a bit large-- not that I'm complaining. With his pale skin and dark clothing, he looks like a vampire while mine looks nothing alike.

"Yes, if we have time we should buy you some clothes."

"If we have time? It's a freaking necessity for a woman to have her clothes but whatever, you're joking again."

Observing the outfit, the coat was colored white with golden strings that I tied together to keep the coat from falling. Black fur covered my wrist and neck. I was wearing another white dress underneath it and the lack of warmth I was feeling a while ago disappeared. The boots were made out of brown leather and it was tied tighter to make myself comfortable. It was a bit larger and reach until my knees.

"Thanks." I didn't saw his reaction as I left the room. Not that I care.

Reaching outside, a sudden chill ran through me as I hug myself tighter. Soft-looking snow coated various plants and trees, making everything white. I've never seen so much snow in my life...

"Where are we going anyway?" I'm wanted so...

"Not to worry, it's a secluded village who haven't heard of you."

That's kinda shocking... By now, everyone should've known me. Clearing my thoughts, I concentrated on the present.

We were now standing in front of the large elaborated gate and I notice how his eyes held another mischief. I clench the coat and the gate opened, my eyes widen in awe.

"Try not to fall, no one will catch you."

Beyond the gate was the Stella Empire, a sight of the entire empire. The majestic empire's palace on the north, scattered glorious manors everywhere, villages and cities covered with a white blanket-- the place he has sworn to destroy.

"A flying fortress..." I murmured and I can sense his stares, observing my reaction. I wasn't used to magics and fantasy so this was quite the experience for me. I've been living my life believing magic is unrealistic and nonsense yet here I am, experiencing it.

"How'd you manage to do this?"

To think that someone would assassinate me at night was stupid. Hell, the thought about the dead servant watching me at night just to protect me from attacks was a complete absurdity. No one would be able to harm me here...

"This is quite amazing..." A perfect place for villains to watch their casualties when that time comes. I'm intrigued, just what happened to him to contain such hatred against everyone?

"It's quite simple."

I never even heard nor read something about your existence. The manga didn't mention anything about someone like you-- someone with this power. Is it possible they release a side story after I died or were you sent to replace me?

"The number of human lives wasted for this despicable fortress to take flight was countless. The large amount of mana needed in protecting the fortress from cold and harsh winds was abundant."

"When did you start sacrificing human lives?"

"..."

I shifted my head to look at him. Strange, you've gone silent. What, you expected me to be shock or something?

"I see you haven't realized it yet." The usual smirk and arrogant facade he wore was replaced by a calm and collected one.

"Three months ago, during your execution, It just happens an individual wanted to kill everyone because she couldn't control her thoughts and emotions. She was quite vulnerable she almost broke. I offered her some of my mana and she greedily accepted it without questions and went to start bloodshed."

"So you used that girl to do an indirect sacrifice?" His jewel amethyst eyes meet mine, indicating I was right. So he offered up Celestine's victims...

"With my knowledge, I converted those lives into mana."

He lacks mana... That's unbelievable. The villain standing next to me desires power to bring that destruction and satisfies his selfishness. But, even so, would you believe him? He hasn't said anything about the dragon aiding him. For all I know, he's lying.

When I first became Knile, the mana she had was quite abundant yet I couldn't fully grasp it. He's also a dark magician and if we recall Knile's family history, unfortunate people inherited the curse. He also knows the curse... It's a foolish conclusion with no evidence but still,

"Are you a descendant of Hyll?"

His eyes widen in a slight shock before they turned back to normal. He swiftly shifted his head and proceeded to watch the region covered with snow.

"You are interested in me yet you still deny it."

Oh? I smiled at his attempt to divert the conversation.

"Did I struck a nerve?"

"N-" his statement was interrupted by his stomach. No embarrassment cross his face.

"Enough talk, let's finish the task." He commanded, his voice was somehow emotionless.

"Fair enough." I decided to stop and not question further.

"Close your eyes."

I followed his words and I unexpectedly received laughter. That was when I realized I was being fooled.

"I'm glad you know your limits." He whispered, possibly to himself but I still heard it.

The way he makes himself seems like his guard was down and the way he makes me feel like I could destroy him anytime intimidates me. One moment he is joking with you then later he'll say something harsh and critical that would destroy the self-confidence you barely salvage. It's as if he's keeping me in check.

And this would always happen every time I seem like I've realized something about him.

A flick of his wrist causes a magic circle with ancient characters to originate beneath us. Glowing violet particles started surrounding us before they engulfed us, blocking our vision.

After a while, the darkness surrounding us started fading away and a village was now in front of us.

"Let's play a game."

-----