Chapter:12

Jacob's POV.

I was a wealthy man. I was born in Italy and lived happily with my father, Peter and my elder brother, Michael. My mother passed away, a few days after she gave birth to me.

Michael's marriage was fixed with a girl named Maria. But soon, he was affected with malaria and left us.

Our father was fond of Maria as she was an orphan. So, my father promised her that I would marry her in my brother's place. But, I was in love with a maid in our house. Her name was Gwendolyn, my Gwen.

She was my life - my world - my everything. We shared a special bond that enabled us to even read each other's minds. She was beautiful. A real goddess, I must say. But the beauty of her heart was more. She was compassionate, polite and helpful.

Our relationship was kept a secret as instructed by her. But when my father made alternate plans with my life, I was left with no options other than to reveal the secret I hid from him. I couldn't think of being with a woman other than my Gwen. So I decided to speak up.

One day my father and I went hunting.

"Father, I need to speak with you," I spoke up on our way.

"What is it, son?" He enquired.

"It's about Maria."

He halted our horse to hear me out.

"I can't marry her, Father," I declared.

"What? Why son?" He asked, shocked.

"Father, I am sorry. But I am in love with another girl. I can't let her think of me as a cheater." I confessed.

I bowed my head with guilt. I was ashamed that I became a reason for him to break the promise he had made to Maria. But my promise was much more important to me.

My father stepped towards me. I thought he would slap me for what I had done. But, to my surprise, he hugged me.

"I am proud of you, my son. You did the right thing. Speak things out with Maria as soon as possible and let her know that even if she is not your wife, she is still our family and we will take good care of her." He stated.

I was so delighted. I hugged him back and cried out my happy tears.

"I am so sorry for ruining your reputation, father." I apologised wiping away my tears.

"No son, don't be sorry. It's my fault. I should have asked your opinion before I made my promise." He said and patted my back.

"Who is the lucky girl?" My father asked.

"It's our maid, Gwendolyn."

"I knew you had a thing for her. But I was unaware you were serious. Ask her to join us for dinner today." He said.

That was the happiest moment in my life. I knew Gwen would be overjoyed to hear that.

The dinner was tremendous. My father asked her a few things about me and she answered them quite well. He was pleased with making her, my wife.

After dinner, Gwen and I walked through the garden. She entwined her arm with mine and talked about many things regarding our future.

As we reached the pond in our garden, I stopped walking and glanced at her. She was extremely beautiful in her white gown. Moonlight shone upon her which made her quite a sight to watch without boredom for hours. Her eyes gleamed with happiness and her smile revealed how much she was looking forward to our marriage.

I cupped her face with my hand and pulled her closer to me.

"You look stunning," I whispered into her ear.