CH 26 Dead Santa Watching Over Us All

Ava ripped open the packaging which was once neatly wrapped around a rectangular flat box like thing, with For Ava, From Santa, written on it. Ava snorted at seeing the word Santa.

"Hey-...Santa's still alive." Avery frowned when she noticed what Ava snorted at. 

"....no...he died when we buried him." Ava muttered a small smile etched across her face. 

".....We BURIED him?!" Avery asked furrowing her eyebrows as she looked down at the box in her hand. 

"...Why would you two bury him?" Mason asked looking at both of them incredulously as he tried to rip the packaging off the box in his hand. 

"HOW will you bury him, again?" Jacob asked shaking his head as he stared at the book in his hand. "Well, thanks Santa...really did want this book." He added muttering under his breath.

"Show a little more gratitude to the dead man." Avery said.

"But he's dead!" Ava exclaimed. 

"How did he die?" Mason asked.

"....we buried him..." Ava muttered furrowing her eyebrows. 

"BUT WHY DID YOU BURY HIM BEFORE HE DIED?!" Jacob asked incredulously. 

"I can't believe a bunch of soon to be 15 year olds are having this conversation." They heard a voice mutter from behind them. 

".....you do not speak of age in this matter." Ava said narrowing her eyes at Ethan who rolled his eyes. 

"Did you just roll your eyes at me?!" Ava asked. 

"Yes. I did." Ethan muttered now regretting coming to check up on her. Oliver chuckled under his breath enjoying seeing Ethan being tormented by his own sister. 

".....nothing I can do about it." Ava said before going back to opening her gift. 

"SANTA GAVE ME A FRICKIN PAINT SET?!" Ava exclaimed looking at her gift. "WHO EVEN WAS MY SANTA?" She asked incredulously. 

".....what did you even want then?!" Ethan asked furrowing his eyebrows being sure that Ava had said she wanted paints and brushes. 

".....a paint set. OH. THANKS!" She said grinning and looking at her gift again. Avery sighed used to her best friend's antics by now. She looked down at  gift, removing the rest of the wrappings to see a not too small, not too big diary, with beautifully carved designs on the cover of it. It had a pen with it, which looked similar to the diary. She grinned at it. 

"Now you don't have to write random phrases popping in your mind, on random pages, which fly around the room." Ava said to which Avery grinned sheepishly. 

"What did you get Mason?" Avery asked looking sideways. 

"A....a skateboard?" Mason muttered as he took it out, before his eyes glinted and a small smile overtook his face. 

".......do you even know how to?" Ava asked raising her eyebrows. 

"...yeah, I do, child, suck it up, and go eat lunch." Mason said rolling his eyes. 

"....b-" Ava began but Jacob poked her head with his finger. She turned around a glared at him. 

"What?!" She hissed rubbing the part where he had poked her. 

"One mustn't curse." He mumbled now overwhelmed with how close she was standing to him. 

"Yeah well, I can." Ava muttered taking a step back, turning around to see Avery grinning at her to which she closed her eyes and shot her 'the' look which only caused her to grin more. Ava groaned before making her way towards where the children were taking hot chocolate from.