CH 20 fLuStErEd Jacob

Avery, Mason, Jacob and Ava were sitting on the table in the cafeteria eating their lunch as Jacob and Mason were trying as hard as they could to not give out the surprise party planned for Avery.

(A/N- We changed from BOTH their birthdays at the almost same day to different ones)

"Smith, Brown, I need you in the office." Said a voice to which Ava turned around suspiciously.

"Why...?" She asked sensing that they were hiding something.

"Ava can come too.....can't she?" Jacob asked looking at Oliver who sighed and looked at Ava.

"No she can't." Ethan said to which Ava glared at him.

"But why?" Mason asked furrowing his eyebrows.

"I'm alive..." Avery muttered.

"When did you die anyway?" Ava asked.

"I'm guessing when this conversation started but eh...I'll just go get a refill." Avery said rolling her eyes as she stood up and went to get a refill for her hot chocolate.

"So...?" Ava asked looking at the four boys.

"We're planning Avery's secret party." Mason blurted out to which Oliver and Ethan glared at him.

"There was too much tension in the air." Mason mumbled.

"So why didn't you tell me?" Ava asked confusedly.

"Because telling you would mean the surprise party not being a surprise anymore." Ethan said nodding his head sympathetically.

"Yeah...your brother understands the best....we never really told him about other people's surprises either." Oliver shrugged.

Ava nodded as something struck her mind suddenly, which was totally unrelated to the topic. Ava looked carefully at Ethan who looked a bit more tense than usual. Avery returned a few seconds after taking a place beside Ava.

"Can I talk to you...?" She asked Ethan biting her lip.

"Yeah..." Ethan said confusedly as it was the first time Ava asked to talk...

"Alone...?" She mumbled looking down trying to avoid the confusing looks she was getting from her friends.

Ethan nodded quietly as Ava stood up and followed Ethan to the stairs. When they reached there, they stopped.

"I...I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I heard you talking to mother, yesterday night." Ava said releasing a breath and looking at Ethan.

"Okay....but when she called...it was midnight...past curfew, and you were out of your bed after curfew?" Ethan asked raising his eyebrows.

"Well...yeah...I couldn't sleep without Jacob's snores...soImayormaynothavesnuckouttosnugglewithyou." She said in one breath.

"Okay...uh...so?" He asked pressing his lips together.

"Well...I heard my name..." Ava breathed out.

"What?" Ethan asked surprised by how carefully Ava was listening.

"I heard you Ethan." Ava said looking at him. "She wants custody over me
...doesn't she?" She asked suddenly getting glossy eyed but making sure to not cry in front of him as she pulled the tears back.

Ethan released a huge breath before keeping a hand on Ava's shoulder.

"Don't worry. I'm your legal guardian and I won't let that happen. Okay?" Ethan asked looking at her in the eye.