Chapter 16: I Missed You

Start from the beginning

"Told ya", I said leaning towards Shae's trunk, and then turning back to Owen who had bright amused eyes and a matching smile. I laughed at his amused features, "So, what's going on"?

"Well," he said stepping underneath me, "I thought I'd bring you some oranges".

"Oranges"! I jumped in excitement.. and then of course... Slipped from my perch, dumping out my tea, only to be caught by the quick reflexes of my human's hand.

"Ri"! He raised his voice questioning my sanity, surprisingly not  shouting in fear.

"Oofg", I grunted, But the landing was unexpectedly soft, most likely due to the fact that his hand caught me and then slowed my momentum.

"Where are you wings", He chuckled out loosening his grasp. To be honest, he caught me before I could conjure them.

I opened an eye, and then sat up quickly in his palm, "WINGS? OWEN, WHERE ARE THE ORANGES? Come on get your priorities straight"!

He laughed with a lighthearted eyeroll as he pulled a small plastic wrapped mound of Ri-sized orange slices. My face lit up and I conjured my wings dashing towards the oranges. But when I got close to grabbing them, the dodged me.... I grabbed for them again, only for them to fly above me.

Shae shook slightly in laughter and Owen chuckled. "Yes. Yes. It's so funny." I looked up at Owen, hovering at chest level, and crossed my arms as he chuckled with a smile. "Owen, thank you. That's extremely thoughtful. Now, if its all the same to you, may I have them"? I said politely with a low and even intonation.

"Yes, Ri, you can have them", He laughed softly lowering the bag into my arms that were quick to uncross. And once in my grasp a smile lit up my face and I darted back inside, leaving the cup but taking some orange.

I walked back outside onto my scout limb with a hand full of orange, "Where did you find these"?

And he looked confused momentarily wondering how I got onto the limb, "I bought them at the grocery store. They were imported from down south".

"Mmm", I swallowed with a nod, "You are my favorite human, Owen Daniels".

He chuckled, "I'm the only human you know, Ri".

"Oh, that's right... Man it would suck for you if you weren't my favorite", I cackled lightly.

He shook his head as I sat back down on the perch I had previously slipped from. He looked up at me curiously, "what have you been up to"?

"Oh you know, talking to a tree, scavenging for food, melting snow for drinking water... the usual".

"That sweater is new". He smiled, and I remembered how refreshing his presence was.

"Oh! Yeah, I finished it yesterday"! I said adjusting my sleeves.

Shae creaked mentioning that I saw Meeks, but I ignored her because I really didn't want him asking questions I didn't want to answer.

"Ah-hem", I cleared my throat towards Shae before addressing Owen, "What have you been up to"?

"Just working around the bar and hanging out with Rob. But, I missed you". He put his hands in his pockets and shrugged.

Missed me? How can he say that so casually? NO! Stomach, stop fluttering! I scolded myself internally, but outwardly remained stoic; even Shae didn't notice a change in my demeanor.

My eyes widened a bit as I lowered my hand of orange down to my lap, "You missed me"?

"Well yeah". He laughed breathily, "Ri, you spent nearly every day with me for the past, what, 8 months? Of course I missed you".