This Changing Life - Part 19 -Family Interludes

Alan had initially determined to follow Kes, but then decided he would not be able to catch the fiery horse she was on. He turned, and trudged up the steps again to confront Guy, who he was sure had not seen Kes, wrapped up in Marion as he had been. As he reached the top of the stairwell and the balcony, Guy, Marion, and Vaisey were still there. He could see the thunderous look on Gisborne's face, and knew the Sheriff had announced Kes' visit to him. Marion was crying, asking for Guy to forgive her, telling him she had been overcome. Guy looked up and saw Alan, and nodded to him to wait for a moment. He then sent Marion back to her Father, to tell the women how she wanted him cared for before burial. He excused himself from Vaisey, who by this time had moved on to other matters, concerning the journey in two days. 

"Where  is she, Alan?" Guy still had the thunderous look about him.  Alan took a step back, and began,  "I, ah, I think she rode back to the manor. I knew I could not catch up to her, so I came to make sure you knew what had happened." Alan was miserable. His head was hurting, his nose and jaw were sore from the beating, and the two people he cared about were in trouble. "She saw you, Guy, kissing Marion. She saw it." 

Guy, who was trying his best to understand how this had happened, was still not entirely clear with it. "Why was she here? Had something happened?" Alan looked at him. "No, she just said she had something to tell you. I never asked what it was, and she didn't say."

Gisborne was quiet. Alan was impatient. "Are you going to go talk to her, to straighten it out?"

Before Guy had a chance to answer the young man's question, he heard Vaisey scream his name. He turned away from Alan, and went to see what the issue was. Vaisey was livid. He had just discovered most of his ill gotten gains were missing frim his safe. 

"Hood! He was here! Right under our noses....kill him Gisborne." Vaisey was  actually spitting when he talked...or screamed his orders. 

Guy turned and left the man standing in the hall. He found Alan,  then ordered a troop of men out in search of Hood, and rode with Alan back to Palace Manor. His sense of dread was overwhelming. How would he ever explain? This was a part of marriage he had dreaded. He hated what Kes had seen, but knew it meant nothing. Finding the right words would be difficult. 

Guy went into the Manor, leaving Captain with Alan. Thornton met him, and gestured upstairs. Guy took the steps two at a time and burst into the bedroom he and Kes shared. The first thing he noticed was the small travelling bag sitting on the bed. Kes was standing out on the balcony, dressed in her riding clothes, with a cloak over all. She turned when he stepped out beside her. 

"Where are you going?" his deep voice held the question. Kes met his eyes. "I am not sure, but I plan on leaving immediately," she stated firmly. "There is no sense taking this any further." Guy was stunned. He knew she would be angry, but this! It was as though the marriage, that he, meant nothing to her. They had spoken of love, but the woman standing before him was cold. 

"You promised a year. We agreed on that." Guy knew this was not the best of statements he could make, under the circumstances, but was honestly unable to think of anything else. 

"There is no sense on prolonging this, Guy. You may dissolve the marriage and marry whomever you chose. I will not hold you to our agreement. The estate and money are already in your name. I took care of that months ago. Contrary to what you may believe, I  do want you to be happy. I cannot imagine you would want to wait any longer than necessary to be free."  Kes  held  her head as high as possible. Tears were stinging her eyes, but she was willing them not to fall. Her pride was beginning to crumble though, and she knew she could not face him like this much longer. She turned, looking out over the lavender fields. Guy walked up and stood behind her. She felt the heat from his body, and was aware of his scent surrounding her.