Chapter 3: Predictions

The gathering at the palace lost interest for Guy once Kes left it. He decided to walk to the stable and check on his horse, and to also get a breath of fresh air.  He had seen that Vaisey was occupied and deep in negotiations with the other nobles, so Guy was pleased to be on his own.

As he reached the stable, a voice called out to him. "Sir, can you stop for a minute?" Guy turned impatiently. He saw an old woman, in clean but shabby dress, and thought to himself, "A crone. What on earth would she be wanting."

"I have come a long way to this castle sir,"  her voice was rather gruff, and certainly showed no fear of the Knight. "What do you want woman?" he asked curtly. He did not know this woman, but decided to humor her. 

She smiled to herself, and he noticed her appreciation of his attention.  "I am here to tell you of the future, should you choose it." He scoffed, a mere fortune teller. Not worth the time. "Begone woman," he said rather angrily. "I do not need my fortune told." She ignored his rudeness, moving a bit closer, speaking in a lowered voice now.  "You sir, will have a love for the ages. You will sire a line of kings and queens that will rule Britain for many years. It is in your grasp, but you must reach out to take it."

Guy laughed. "I suppose you expect me to pay you for these glad tidings? Well, you have made a mistake. How many others have you told this same tale?" He was getting impatient with this discussion.

The old woman smiled slyly. "I have come a long way to tell you this. I care not if you believe me. And I offer one more word of counsel," she paused, leaning even closer, to whisper, "Choose wisely, or lose all."  Guy rolled his eyes and continued on to the stable. When he returned after currying his horse, she was gone, and he put her words out of his mind. 

The next morning, Guy found Prince John presiding over breakfast. Kes was at the table, as well as the Sheriff and Robin of Locksley.  Guy seated himself next to Vaisey, and watched as Robin conversed with Kes. Robin, as usual, a master of light conversation, asked Kes why she left the convent. He was aware of the King's concern for her, and curious to know why she was no longer there. John overheard the conversation, smirked and loudly told the group, "Well, it would seem my sister brought contraband into the Abbey!"

He roared with laughter at this, while everyone watched him with confusion, waiting for an explanation. Kes' clear voice rang out. "It was a book." "A book?" Robin asked, quite puzzled. "They were upset over a book?"

"Well, this was an old Chinese tome. The Kama Sutra," John explained, once again laughing loudly at his sister's expense. Kes simply smiled, clearly not allowing herself to be baited. 

"The nuns sent her home, with old Friar Tuck," John finished. The sheriff sniggered at this, clearly enjoying what he thought was the girl's discomfort. He would use it to torment Gisborne, having noticed the attention he had given the princess in the last night. He often warned his Master of Arms that all women were lepers, and best left alone. 

John, who never tired of trying to annoy Kes, continued to make her the topic of conversation. "I have tried to find her a husband, but after speaking with her, they run away. What are we up to Kessandra, nine?"

"Well 11, if you count last night," she said. "You must not be offering enough, Brother." Kes had about enough of this conversation. "Gentlemen, I leave you to your breakfast. I shall change into my riding habit, as I have plans for the afternoon." This last to let Gisborne know she would head to the stables.

As Kes walked to her quarters, she made a quick stop in the kitchen to order a picnic basket for Guy and herself. Then she changed, picked up the basket, and went directly to the stables. She saddled Counterpoint herself, then had a groom ready Guy's big black mount. Guy joined them. He brought apples for both horses. Both stallions were a bit fractious, but settled down quickly when the riders mounted.