This Changing Life- Chapter 16 - The Other Woman

The next morning, Guy left early, heading for Nottingham. He no longer dreaded Marion's visit.   It was mid-morning when Marion arrived at the Manor. As Thornton announced her, Kes was in the sitting room. Marion curtseyed and Kes bade her sit. The two women looked each other over. Kes thought Marion was quite pretty. Young and altruistic, with the care of her father heavy on her shoulders. Marion was a bit intimidated by Kes, who seemed quite beautiful, mature and worldly to her, in spite of the fact she had spent a good bit of her life confined to a convent. Marion was sure the other woman had a fiery temper.  They finally began a conversation. 

"Princess Kessandra, I have been looking forward to getting to know you better." Marion was a bit nervous. Her first meeting with Kes, and she found herself a bit intimidated by her rank, although the other woman had thus far been civil and friendly, if not warm.

"And I you. Guy has told me of your situation, and I wondered if I might be of help to you." Kes tried to reassure the girl, and herself, that she meant this. Marion looked quite surprised, and replied carefully. "I am not sure anyone can. The sheriff is angry with my father and has been keeping us at Nottingham Castle since our house was burned. We cannot leave without his permission, or that of Sir Guy."

Kes frowned at the slip in title. "It is now Prince Guy," she responded a bit curtly. Best to make the correction in private, so she would not have to reprimand the girl publicly. Marion gave a start, but quickly regained her composure. "I am sorry, I have known him as Sir Guy for a long time. It was not intentional."

"I have no doubt, but he is still Prince Guy now," Kes replied. Marion nodded, then looked around the large room. It was elegantly furnished but seemed quite comfortable. Her gaze fell on the large portrait over the fireplace mantle. "Who is that lovely woman?" she asked. Kes turned as Thornton entered the room with a light lunch, and some cider. After he finished setting the tray down, Kes dismissed him. 

"That is Ghislaine Gisborne, Guy's mother, and she was much lovelier than the portrait," Kes answered. 

"You knew her?" Marion said with surprise. Kes nodded. "She was my teacher when I was a young girl living here."

"And you were acquainted with Prince Guy at the time?" Obviously, Marion knew nothing of Guy's history, as the question implied. "Yes. Guy was about 15, and Robin 9. We were best of friends and terrorized the shire." Kes decided a brief history was in order. 

"You were friends with Robin, as well?" Marion felt a flash of jealously. "Robin? Of course, how could I not know the future Lord of Locksley," Kes said innocently. "What?" Marion was suddenly aware of what her question had implied. She looked at Kes, who was watching her intently. She had been caught. 

"I gather you are fond of Robin, Marion. Are you not?" Kes had decided openness was called for at last. "We were engaged before he left for the Holy Land. I broke it off before he left, but I still care for him," Marion explained as she fussed with the trim on her riding dress.  "I..., she stopped, and Kes began to feel sorry for the young girl, so she added, "And then you were engaged to Prince Guy, although it seems under duress?"

"Yes," Marion said softly. "The sheriff had begun to campaign against my father with Prince John. After Vaisey took over, Sir Guy offered his protection, and promised to keep my father safe, so I accepted. I had no choice."

"No choice?" Kes felt her anger rising. "So, you led Guy on. Made him imagine you cared for him?" 

"No!" Marion was not about to admit to it. "I never told him I cared for him. He pursued me, not I him! I despise him! He is a murderer and the sheriff's man!"

Kes decided this conversation had gone on far too long. "Enough!" She was angry. The girl sitting in front of her was young, impulsive, unthinking. "You do not know my husband at all. He has been working for Vaisey and has carried out his orders. Do you have any idea why?" Marion lowered her gaze, ashamed of her outburst, and a bit frightened by the anger in Kes' voice.  "No your Grace," she offered quietly.