This Changing Life-Chapter 7- Trouble In Nottingham

The next morning, Vaisey came on them standing in the dining room of the small inn. He bowed to both of them, then went to find something to eat. Tuck, who had been watching, smiled at Kes, who winked back. Guy was surprised at Vaisey's show of respect. He had not been expecting it. 

Kes ordered a basket of meat pies to be eaten on the road, and Tuck put the basket on his horse. Then they continued their journey to a new life. 

The sheriff rode in silence today. He was thinking of what he could do to win Gisborne's loyalty back. SHE had given him title, wealth and land. He had always used the promise of these very things as bait to get what he wanted from the man. He was not about to let this slip of a girl best him. Yes, he would need a plan. The girl would not always be close to her guardian. 

Guy enjoyed the rest of the ride. The weather was warm, the trees and flowers were fragrant, and Kes was in a very good mood, laughing and teasing him. The Sheriff's silence was also quite welcome. Guy decided to go on to the Palace Manor, rather than stopping in Nottingham over night. There was plenty of daylight left to get there comfortably.

However, when they arrived at the gates of Nottingham, the castle courtyard was in an uproar.  Three village lads from Locksley had been caught stealing a sack of flour from the sheriff's storeroom. A fourth young man no one knew, Alan a'Dale,  was accused of hunting on sheriff's land.  Robin was trying to free them from the sheriff's deputies, and when the sheriff rode in, he walked over to Vaisey and demanded the four be released into his custody. Vaisey, in a fit of pique said, "A clue, no! Hang them!" He was in charge here, and it was time everyone remembered it!

As the executioner readied the men for the gallows, which were always set up in the courtyard, Dan Scarlett, father of two of the boys, looked to Robin for help. Robin spoke to Vaisey again, pleading, "They are just boys Sheriff. I claim my right  to see to their punishment." Vaisey snarled his No!, and ordered them hung immediately. 

As the ropes were put into place, Robin drew his bow, and the arrow he fired sliced through the ropes that had been placed around all four necks, freeing the boys. Pandemonium broke out in Nottingham.  The sheriff screamed, "Arrest that man!"  The people were fleeing arrows and swords as Guy stepped in to aid the sheriff, but the crowd pushed him back . Robin, his manservant Much, and the four young men ran into the forest to safety. Vaisey sent his squad of soldiers out in search of them, but they were unable to track the small group, and later returned empty handed.

Kes and Tuck had stayed back from the tumult. Few noticed them.  It had happened so fast they had not been able to respond. Then they heard the sheriff of Nottingham declare Robin of Locksley a traitor, and forfeit of all his lands.  A reward was offered, although Kes was sure none of the villagers would claim it. 

Guy walked over to Vaisey and informed him he was going on to Castle Manor, knowing he did not want Kes here anymore than she wanted to be here. "Yes, yes Gisborne," he agreed, "Get her out of here!"

Guy, Kes and Friar Tuck arrived at Palace Manor just as the evening deepened. The large house towered amid the trees, dominating the area.  The stables were past it, with several large corrals, and a small lake in front, a much larger lake in the rear of the home.. Thorton, the overseer, was surprised at their arrival, but set about making them comfortable. He and his wife had cared for the large house and grounds for the past ten years. Tuck left briefly to see to the horses, and the newly married couple walked into the drawing room of the small castle. Hanging over a large mantle, Guy was surprised to see a portrait of his Mother. "Where on earth did that come from?" he exclaimed. Kes smiled at his surprise. Richard had bought the portrait from an artist  before the fire at Gisborne Manor.  He had commissioned it as a gift for Gislaine, who had helped him with Kes. After Guy's father joined him in the Holy Land, he had thought better of his gift, and  had it sent to the Manor for storage. Thorton had hung it in a place of honor when he had received word to ready the house for Guy and the Princess.  As Kes explained this to Guy, his eyes filled with tears.  "I never thought to see her face again," he said softly.  Kes put her arm around his waist and hugged him, and he turned to her and  held her tightly, trying to stop the tears. As he calmed, she left  to help Thorton prepare a meal, leaving Guy some privacy with his memories. 

After a light supper, Thorton showed Tuck to his room, and Kes took Guy upstairs to their quarters. The bedroom was quite beautiful, and looked out over  a large balcony that led to the lovely grounds below it. The small bridge over the creek was still there, and brought a smile to his eyes. But what amazed Guy most was the indoor plumbing, styled after Roman Baths. A shower area, a metal tub, and a strange looking thing that replaced a chamber pot!  Kes explained that a water tower collected rain, plentiful in this part of Britain, and a stove kept water heated, so baths and showers were hot. King Richard had installed it some time ago, using French builders that  had taken pride in their work. 

Kes filled the tub for Guy, then left to allow him some privacy.  He simply could not get over having hot water! When Kes returned sometime later to wash his back, he had fallen asleep.  She laughed and gently woke him, giving him a towel. She refilled the tub for herself, and when she had finished she walked into the bedroom wrapped in a towel, and found him once again fast asleep! She sighed, she had hoped for some closeness after the long journey, but simply crawled into the large bed next to him, clad only in her towel. During the night, Guy woke to find himself once again facing her back. He slowly began to initiate lovemaking, and she moaned as she awakened to his advances. As he slipped into her, he softly said, "Kes," more a sigh of pleasure than an actual statement. He would do this many times in the coming nights...fall asleep quickly, then awaken to make love. He would wake during the night, reach for her, and she would respond. 

The next morning Kes introduced him to the shower. She stepped into it with him, adjusted the water, then began to rub lavender scented soap on his body. She watched his response.  His body looked like a statue, hard and sculpted, and she loved looking at him.  Guy had never felt anything quite like this, and grabbed her, kissing her long and hard. Then he pulled her up and pressed her back against the tiles, both of them coming quickly. She threw her head back and laughed when she saw the satisfied look on his face, then once again handed him a towel, and wrapped one around herself. They finished dressing in silence, then went in search of breakfast. 

Guy left briefly to check on the horses and look over the stable before breakfast. That morning, Kes told Thorton of her plans for the manor. She asked him to find a groom and stable hand, and anyone else he thought would be needed to run efficiently. Thorton was pleased to have young people around, to see the Manor come alive again.  The Princess seemed to have a good head on her shoulders, and He was delighted that Sir Guy, excuse me, Prince Guy, was once again in his care. He had been fond of the boy, having worked for his family before the fire. It would be good to see the Manor productive again. 

Kes also informed him that her things would arrive soon from London, along with her personal maid, who had agreed to try living in "the country", and several guards that Tuck had chosen. They would need quarters on the Manor." Guy's things would also need to be brought from Nottingham. 

Guy joined them for a quick breakfast. Thorton's wife, Jane had outdone herself for the young couple. Ham, eggs, scones, honey and creamy butter. They ate ravenously, looking shyly at each other, blushing when they caught the other's gaze. Guy watched Kes, her long hair falling about her shoulders, waves moving in the light. She smiled at him, and told him he would have to get used to her "Unkempt" locks until her maid arrived. He got up, walked behind her chair and gave a curl a little teasing yank. "You look lovely", he whispered, sending a shiver down her neck. He assured her with a whisper that he liked her girlish look. Then together, they went over some expectations with Thorton. 

Relaxing later, Guy began to think about the past few days. Though completely unexpected, he felt it had gone extremely well. Ever since his loss of family and land he had worked towards this. He had thought of Kes often as years had gone by, but never in his wildest imagining had he foreseen this.   

He determined to make this a good year, whatever the consequence.