This Changing Life - Chapter 11 -The Tournament

The next morning Guy stayed in bed. His temperature had spiked again, with muscle aches and a severe headache. Thorton told Kes that influenza was rampant in the villages, and he suspected, Guy had been exposed. Guy's temperature spike had Kes  worried.  Later that afternoon he was delirious, then barely moved at all. Kes was frantic. She saddled Counterpoint and took off at a gallop to find the woman that Thornton said had been helping the villagers. Mathilda. She has ministered as a healer to Nottingham Shire  for years.

Mathilda agreed to follow the girl back to the Manor, after grabbing the herbs and serums she would need. When she arrived, she could see Guy was indeed very ill, and Mathilda was not sure she could save him. "Do you trust me lass?"  she asked of Kes, who gave her a terrified nod. "Good, then let's get him into a tepid bath. It will help bring the fever down." Thorton came in to help, and Guy was soon bathed in cool water. The redness faded from his skin, and he started to shiver again. They moved him back into the bed, and he seemed to rest better, as evening deepened. By morning he was able to sip some tea, and a bit of bone broth Mathilda had made for him. 

Kes was asleep in a chair next to the bed, and as he looked at her Mathilda spoke to him quietly. "When the lass brought me here, I had no idea who needed my care. If I had known who you were, I am not sure I would have come." Mathilda had doctored villagers who had felt the displeasure of the Sheriff's Lieutenant.  Guy, who knew this, said to her, "I am very grateful that you did, and I thank you." His sincerity impressed her. She had not expected it from him. Well, she thought to herself, maybe things were not always what they seemed. She busied herself cleaning up her supplies, then stopped, and watched him looking over at Kes. "That lass loves you sharp boy," she snapped at him. "Best be good to her."  He flashed her a tired smile and winked at her. No, this man was definitely not as she thought. 

By the end of the week, Guy was back on his feet. Business for the sheriff once again had him busy each day, and he sent a carriage for Kes the day of the tournament. She arrived at the Sheriff's castle where the courtyard was full of people. Guy was waiting to help her down from the carriage. There! That smile again. Was he the only one to see it? He smiled back at her. She was beautiful. Her dress, though not elaborate, was a soft beige linen with a deep red cape, and a soft ribbon of gold threaded her dark auburn hair. Stray wisps fell onto her shoulders, which the dress highlighted. She took his arm, and they strolled to the horse fair. Guy found two mares he liked, and she approved of, and told the man selling them he would be back after the tournament with halters and leads. 

As they walked back to the castle, Guy noticed that everyone was watching as they walked through the crowd, curious to see the new bride that the sheriff's lieutenant had managed to win. He couldn't help a small smile at this.  She seemed unaware of the attention, but kept her arm linked with his. They were interrupted by a young man in Sheriff's livery who told Guy he was needed by the sheriff.  Kes sent him on, saying she wanted to look at fabric, and set off to do just that. She was admiring a piece of silk when a cough caught her attention. It was Robin, in a brown hood. Thus, the name Robin Hood, she suspected, rolling her eyes at the thought. 

Then she remembered the purpose of the tournament, and without giving it much thought, warned him of the sheriff's plan. He thanked her, then went to the rest of his band as they were quietly scouting out the tournament field. Sheriff's men were everywhere! It would not be easy to get into the roster. His plan was to change places with a young man from the village, take the shot, then hide under the gallows and let the boy accept the prize. He dressed the boy in a brown hood, and then switched places with him. He fired, dead center, then quickly jumped into the crowd, changing places with the boy again and hiding. The Sheriff's men grabbed the young man, but quickly realized it was not Robin. Sheriff Vaisey was forced to award the prize, a silver arrow, worth enough to feed his family for a year. The boy took the silver arrow home, and Robin and his men escaped back into the forest, proud of having once again put one over on the Sheriff.  Kes watched as they were leaving. Robin had done it to prove he was an expert marksman, she knew. That pride of his, the cavalier attitude, would be his downfall. 

She found Guy in a terrible mood. He was angry that Robin had escaped so easily, and angrier still that he had to listen to the sheriff screaming at him for an hour. Vaisey was still livid at his dinner, which Guy and Kes attended, and was berating Guy. His snide remarks embarrassed the Black Knight though he did not respond. Kes caught his eye, and he nodded no, so she kept silent. It was then she noticed a young woman who was watching Guy closely. She was pretty, dressed in finery. She walked over to Guy, who was speaking to several nobles who had come for the tournament, and she touched his arm to get his attention.  The Lady Morton, who was talking with Kes, explained to her that it was Lady Marion of Knighton, and that her father had been sheriff before Vaisey. Lady Morton gossiped on about a betrothal between her and Guy, which ended when she left him at the altar. Kes was stunned. Betrothed! She'd had no idea! She would have to ask Guy about Lady Marion, albeit carefully, and what had actually happened. She would keep an eye on this young woman. She had not considered that Guy had been in a serious relationship and knew in her heart she should not be jealous, but there it was.

Guy spoke very little on the carriage ride home. Kes was quiet as well. She was responsible for the abuse he had taken this evening, and she knew it. She had not considered how tipping Robin off would affect Guy. Her guilt kept her silent.

Guy felt she was angry with him because he had let Vaisey speak to him that way, but he did not know how to broach the subject. When they arrived at the Manor house, he helped her out of the carriage, then left to put all the animals up. Kes said goodnight and went directly to their chamber. exhausted with all the drama at the Sheriff's castle. 

The next several days were miserable. Guy's temper flared at everyone. He did not like to fail' He did not like listening to the Sheriff's tirades. Kes on the other hand was thinking of what she had been told of his previous betrothal, doubt about her new relationship growing quickly. 

At supper one night he was short with her, and she immediately left the table, and then the house, leaving him sitting alone.  A short while later, he felt contrite, and decided to apologize. He found her in the stable brushing one of the new horses. Turning the mare, she kept her head down and said nothing, ignoring his presence.

"Kes," he began, "I am sorry. My behavior was uncalled for."  He walked over to her, and quietly began brushing the mare. When they finished, he led the filly to a stall, and when he turned back, Kes was still standing there. As he walked over to her, she took his hand and they walked back to the house. Neither spoke of it again.