Chapter 3: Fae-Ri

Start from the beginning

"Star bathing today Shae"?

A soft creak told me that it was a 'yes'. I had discovered a few days ago that a rock just offshore into the pond was perfect for that. From here it looked vertical, but on the other side it had an inclined surface. Steep yes, but not too steep to where you'd fall off when laying down or even standing. And the view of the pond was beautiful.

Conjuring my wings, I flew to the rock, and unwrapped my dress. I put my wings away before I laid down in my black strapless onesie. The day was cool, perfect for soaking up the heat from the star. I laid there for a good two hours listening to the melody of the birds and the breeze blowing through Shae's branches. I started humming the strange tune of the distant song I heard the day before. Though, I only remembered a few parts and made up the rest.

I heard a creak coming from Shae telling me to 'come back'.

I ignored it frustrated and too focused with the melody I was butchering in my head. Shae creaked again telling me to 'come back quickly'. I sat up and grabbed my dress and proceeded to wrap it around me as I walked up the rock. I looked down to the side of my dress as I finished tying it.

"What is it now"? I asked and looked up to my tree to see the human man staring down at me from the shore holding a thin pole and a box. I jumped with a pitchy shout startled beyond measure, losing my footing on the steep rock. I aggressively rolled down the rock, bumping my head before plummeting the rest of the distance to the water.

The underwater silence was interrupted by a large splash and I groggily opened my eyes to see to human man leaning over the rock with an enormous hand reaching for me. I gasped in surprise only to inhale a large amount of water before I felt the hand below me. The water surrounding me fell away, and my world whirled around me as the giant turned to step out of the water. I was nearly unconscious as to what occurring from choking on the water. I turned onto my side gripping the giant fingers as I coughed out water on to the hand; my lack of breath being my bodies first concern.

The lines on the large fingers took up my foggy vision, as I coughed harshly. I held onto it for support as my body was being shifted without my consent. When I realized I was being draped across the dirt, I released the finger and desperately tried to expel the water from my lungs as I coughed into dirt below me. I needed to fly away, but conjuring my wings whilst focusing on trying to breathe was nearly impossible, even for me.

"God, you're so small... Are you alright", the heavy whisper rang through my ears. Finally, I took my first struggled breath; and flipped immediately at the sound of the voice, ready to face my death. My vision was filled with the towering human that knelt in front of me. Frantically, I crawled backwards on my elbows still coughing and wheezing distressed breaths.

"Woah, woah it's okay", the man noticed my discomfort and immediately backed away. His voice was loud, but I assumed he made efforts to sound gentle. The distance he created slowed my panic enough to allow me to catch a full breath. With wide and determined eyes, I quickly conjured my wings and shot up to my perch and out of his reach. I knelt on all fours atop the branch, breathing deeply and rapidly as I stared down at the human who was staring up at me.

He stood slowly without moving his gaze from me, "I'm not going to hurt you", he said softly. When I didn't respond, he took a step closer. Immediately, I stood up and turned to take off in the opposite direction of him.

"Okay, okay", he said quickly and gently before I could take flight. With my back still turned, looked back down at him to see him taking a few steps back. My brow rose inquisitively, curious as to what he was trying to achieve.

Shae creaked at me quietly.

"Shh", I hushed and turned to Shae holding up a low hand. I slowly turned around to face the man with erect wings ready for flight.