Take Five (Off-cam)

Few days later, I was sleeping on one of the most comfortable beds I've ever laid upon. Mom was beside me, busy watching some cooking show on the flat screen television which was the size of four standard-size tvs. I couldn't help but indulge myself into this whole new room I was into. Today would be the last time I would ever see mom and everyone else, before I completely enter inside that stupid dating show.

"Honey, are you alright?" I heard my mom ask beside me.

I turned to her and nodded. "I'm just a bit nervous, mom."

"Nervous about what? You've never been nervous before, dear." Mom pointed out, which was true. I didn't even know why I suddenly felt butterflies clumping inside my stomach.

"You're right mom. I guess I'm just worrying about whether I will get along with the people inside," I confessed.

Mom tapped my shoulder. "You'll be fine, dear. Remember to just be yourself. Make me proud, alright?"

"I will, mom," I said, smiling.

"Have you talked to Sab and Jasper before we came here?" mom asked.

"I tried contacting them but they weren't answering back. I felt guilty that Sab didn't make it. She should be the one here, not me."

"Everything happens for a reason, dear. Remember that," mom told me.

I nodded.

****

The night had finally come. I looked at myself in the mirror for the last time after being pampered by a hair stylist and make-up artist. My long hair was tied up in its usual ponytail which I insisted. I was wearing my comfortable clothes which mom suggested: simple lousy shirt, tight jeans, and Chucks.

"Are you sure you're not underdressed dear?" The hair stylist, Mira asked me.

I shook my head. "I feel perfectly-dressed this way. Thank you."

She nodded.

"Okay Ms. Gomez, the car's ready downstairs. Wear this eyemask and lapel mic on," a staff told me, handing me a black eyemask and the mic.

I put both of them on diligently, then gripped the hand of the staff who was guiding my way out. I felt dizzy walking with blind eyes. I almost wanted to take it off of me but I controlled myself not to. After what seemed to be a decade, I finally reached the car. I was guessing, since I could feel the air conditioner and the smell of the air freshener hit my nose. 

As the car started to move, the butterflies in my stomach started twirling around that I wanted to puke. I felt like I was Katniss Everdeen being thrown out in the arena. Luckily, we weren't tributes killing each other for survival, but it did seem to be that way in a sense.

I didn't realize that I dozed off along the way, not until someone nudged me on the side. "Ms. Gomez, we're here now." I heard a staff calling me.

I steadied myself and held the staff's hand again to guide me out. I felt rocks from underneath and for a second, the thought of me being thrown out into the arena emerged again. But after a while, the ground became less rocky, like I was walking into a grassy path. I could also hear running water not too far away from where I was standing. Were we really in a forest now?

After a while, the staff stopped walking, dropping my hand. I was left alone now in the middle of nowhere. I had the urge to take off the eyemask again, but then, I heard a voice coming from somewhere not too far. "Take off your masks."

And when I did, my eyes had to adjust to the bright lights flashing infront and the big cameras staring back at me. I was surprised to see that I was standing last in line along with the other girls who got in the show. We were all standing in one line just in front of a huge and classy fountain, which I usually see in movies. That explains the running water!