Chapter 36: A gift

Start from the beginning

A door opened behind me and I turned to see Adam stepping out of his room. He was already ready for work, wearing a fitted black suit similar to Killian's. 

"Hey Ren" He smiled once he saw me.

"Morning Dam" I responded. Killian hated the nickname Adam had gifted me but he still insisted on using it, mainly to piss Killian off. 

"You hungry? I'm sure I can whip something up before I head in" He offered and browsed the contents of the fridge. 

"I'm okay, i'm not hungry yet." I responded and thanked him. Silence filled the kitchen for a few seconds until I broke it again. "So why was it just him who went to London? Why didn't you go with him? Or why didn't you just go instead since he's been so focussed on...my situation"

Adam paused and shrugged his broad shoulders. "We needed somebody else to stay and keep an eye on things here and Killian knows our partners in London better so it only made sense for him to go. Why?" He continued to rummage through the fridge, eventually bringing out a Red Bull that was pushed all the way in the back. 

"Just curious, I just haven't heard from him much so I don't know..." I responded not sure where I even wanted the conversation to go. I guess part of me was concerned that he may have returned to London because of what had happened to me. 

I shrugged off the negative thoughts and looked up at Adam who had just finished chugging the Red Bull. "If it makes you feel better, I haven't heard much from him either. Our partners there are very..." he paused "difficult. He's probably just preoccupied with that". He squeezed my shoulder as he walked out of the kitchen and towards the elevator doors, not even bothering to eat any actual food. He needs a girlfriend.  

I pulled out my phone and typed out a short text to Killian.

Thinking about you.. missing you.. hurry home pls. xx

Butterflies filled my stomach, it felt like I had just told my high school crush that I liked him. I quickly placed my phone down on the counter, making sure to set it with the face down.  I walked over to the fridge and pulled out some ingredients for a breakfast burrito. 

***

The rest of the day was boring, as usual. After a few hours of anxiously checking my phone for a response from Killian, I gave up. I decided to take my mind off of things by walking on the treadmill and catching up on some episodes of Gossip Girl. 

Once I got in the shower I decided that today would be my self care day. I tied my hair into a bun after coating the strands in conditioner and exfoliated and shaved my body, preparing it for a fake tan. 

After coating myself in the tanning solution, I put on my black silk robe and walked out into the bedroom. On the coffee table in front of the fireplace was a large crystal vase overflowing with nothing but my favorites; pink roses and white hydrangeas. I walked over to the vase and opened the card sticking out from the flowers. 

Missing you too Doll. 

Enjoy my gift. Think about me some more while you use it. 

-K

Behind the flowers was a small black box wrapped with red ribbon. I took a seat and the cold leather met the backs of my thighs. Carefully unwrapping the ribbon, I peeled away the black wrapping paper of the box which revealed a plain cardboard box. I lifted the top and inside laid a small pink object. I picked it up and it fit perfectly in the palm of my hands. On one end was a quarter sized hole and beside it was a small power button. I pressed the button and the object instantly started to vibrate and air pulsated out of the hole.