Chapter 70

Wolfe and Vampuric waited till Diago had left and followed a safe distance behind him, keeping him just in sight. They walked down a long narrow hallway lit by lanterns spaced at regular intervals along the wall. Wolfe couldn’t help wondering how Diago had come to build and create a place underground that was apparently not discovered by anyone up above ground. He could only think the very wide passage that led to the lake must have been the entrance used by whatever transport brought the exact replication of the lake near their home, to this place underground. Did Diago really think it was the water that gave Annjelica her powers? Surely he must realize it was not the water, but Annjelica herself.

Vampuric nudged him in the ribs and all thoughts were lost as they watched Diago remove a key from around his neck and unlock a heavy metal door. They waited till he had gone inside before venturing nearer. Their senses on full alert they moved in closer and Vampuric pressed his ear against the door. Wolfe tuned in his hearing and they both listened for the slightest sound.

“Ahhh Annjelica, my sleeping beauty, when you wake you will be my bride and your past will no longer exist. All that you knew and all that you were will be lost to you and you will be reborn as Aspen my wife. A wife who will give me many children.”

Vampuric wanted to burst into the room, but Wolfe held him back. ‘Wait, we don’t know what’s on the other side.’

Vmapuric grunted but knew Wolfe was right. Bursting into the room might endanger Annjelica. They would have to wait.

“I’ll be back shortly my love with another dose of potion to help you sleep till our wedding day. In two days my dark beauty your heart will be mine.”

Hearing Diago’s voice, Vampuric and Wolfe backed away and hid down one of the nearby passages. Somehow they had to get the key from around his neck to open the door. They watched as he came out and pulled the door closed. He had just put the key in the lock when a young girl came running down towards him.

“Master, Master! Come quickly. The white witch. She is dead.”

“How dare you shout at me like that. Have I not taught you obedience at all times.”

The girl dropped to her knees and with head bent spoke softly. “Forgive me Master.”

He slapped her round the head. “Now speak.”

“Thank you Master. I went to give the white witch water and she is lying on the floor not breathing. She is very cold Master.”

“I’m sure you are mistaken. I was with her just this morning and she was fine. I will go and see for myself.”

“Do you want me to come with Master DaggerDarkStar?”

“No.” He pushed her out of the way and hurried towards Arianna’s chamber.

***

Wolfe elbowed Vampuric and pointed towards the door Diago had just come out of. They both nodded at each other. The distraction of the girl had caused him to leave the key in the door. They waited until he was out of sight and the girl had gone.

Cautiously they stepped out of the shadows and ran across the hallway. Vampuric fumbled with the key and dropped it. It bounced as it fell to the floor making a clanging metallic sound. They stood motionless. Had Diago heard? Vampuric bent down to pick up the key and Wolfe grabbed the door knob and turned. He heard the click and pushed. Diago had not locked the door. He was obviously distracted before he had time to turn the key. Vampuric shrugged his shoulders. He hadn’t thought of trying the door first.

Once inside they closed the door behind them and Vampuric locked it. They did not need any unexpected surprises. When he turned round he was just a speechless as Wolfe.