Chapter 44 - The blizzard

Beginne am Anfang

S.Y.S.T.E.M: This is an unusually high concentration of undead.

A nearby skeleton on my left swung it's blade at my arm managing to cut deep into my flesh. I roared and swung my left arm at the undead warrior causing it to be launched into another skeleton.

If these things are dead why are they waking up now?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Normally the undead can't survive in the sunlight which might explain why they were underneath the snow. This blizzard has completely shrouded the area in darkness allowing them to awaken and roam unharmed.

Another skeleton got on my back and opened the backpack only to be met with a giant rock fist, courtesy of a tiny Wystan. The skeleton was sent flying as the rock fist shrunk back down into the backpack.

Wystan: Learn to knock!

The skeletons began to slowly close in on us and I could see more bright blue eyes within the blizzard. Taking a look at my map I saw hundreds of red dots in all directions slowly making their way toward us.

Unbeknownst to me a skeleton with a bow and arrow was further within the blizzard. I only realized the archer's presence when an arrow soared through the raging winds and into my right shoulder.

Damn it! Not again.

I tried to fight the skeletons off but it seemed for every one I destroyed five more rose up in it's place. Two more arrows came at me with one embedding itself into my left leg while the second hit the backpack.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: There are far too many undead here for you to fight. I suggest getting yourself and your family to safety instead.

Heeding System's advice I knocked two skeletons away before trying to run through the horde of undead. The blizzard didn't help our situation as my vision was still impaired by the violent blowing snow. Arrows continued to zoom past me with many hitting my back and legs.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Wind speed is increasing. It will begin to get colder and your fur won't keep you warm forever. You must find shelter soon.

Anything nearby we could use?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Scanning... There is a cave nearby.

How far?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Two miles to your right. I'll mark it's location on the map.

A red marker appeared on my map along with a trail of glowing particles leading me to the cave. But before I could follow the trail a wall made of human skulls erupted out of the ground in front of me.

I couldn't stop myself in time so my body collided with the surprisingly strong skulls. The sudden stop and impact with a hard surface disoriented me for a second.

Since I stopped running the undead were able to quickly catch up with us. I shook my head to get rid of my dizziness before turning around to fight off the encroaching skeletons.

But they just stopped their advance and stood there unmoving. I tried to climb the skull wall, but the moment I touched the skull wall the skeletons took a step forward. I slowly took my hand off the wall causing the skeletons to back up to their original positions.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Warning powerful entity approaching, proceed with caution.

The skeletons in front of me moved out of the way revealing a shadowy figure. I could feel blood begin to drip down my back and legs but I continued to stare at the unknown figure.

???: Oh, what's this? I don't believe I've seen this kind of beast before.

The figure lifted it's hand causing the raging wind to avoid us, allowing my vision to be restored back to normal. I now had a clear view of the unknown entity, and I was surprised.