The Bet

The next entries were mostly overlapping the same events that Nene had written so Yashiro skimmed passed it without much thought. His monochrome book was once again suddenly filled with colors to indicate how much he planned for the whole thing.

He even befriended Kou by accident.

It was a funny story really. To know more about the target, a.k.a Teru, Amane went through his locker. Then Kou came and caught him red-handed. Kou was doing Teru a favor by getting his stuff from the locker and was surprised to see him there.

Amane thought it was better, to be honest with him since he assumed that Kou was the type of person who wouldn't be lied to easily. So after telling him the whole thing, Kou pitied him, even though he didn't like the fact that he was going through his brother's stuff, and decided to give him a helping hand instead.

Amane thought that was sweet of him so they became best buddies pretty quickly.

Amane was very dedicated to his work. Once he sets his mind to it nothing can stop him.

Yashiro shook her head in disbelief as she smiled sadly. Just why was he doing all of this?

Ironically when she flipped to the next page, the log started with the line,

Why am I doing all of this?

Heck, even I don't know. Was it because I saw her cry that day? Or was it because after knowing her even more, seeing Fuji still wanting to dominate her irritated me?

For those who had forgotten, Fuji was the main motive for his plan. Since he needed to bring him, he needed to use his only weakness. Yashiro Nene. And that was why he bothered going along with her plan to confess to Teru.

It turns out Amane was never sincere with Nene in the first place.

He thought that for sure Teru would reject her and maybe he could use that opportunity to convince Fuji to make her his girlfriend and forget about Amane and his bullying ways. And then Nene, who was clouded by her heartbreak and his not-so-bad looks, would accept, and BOOM! Problem solved.

He gets Nene.

Nene gets a hot guy.

And Amane gets his freedom.

But the thing is when he saw Nene crying that day, he realized what he was doing wrong. To him, it might just be a normal crush, a normal confession that ended with a normal rejection. But to her, it might mean more in more ways than one. To use her in her vulnerable state, doesn't that make him worse than Fuji?

His stomach churned with guilt. He decided to stop. If Nene found out his true intentions, she would never forgive him.

Unfortunately, by the time he quit, it was too late. When Fuji found out he was the one helping Nene confess, he was furious. Amane was confronted by the boy on the rooftop, alone. The conversation was more or less like this;

FUJI: You know that Yashiro was mine why did you help her get another guy? (Angry face)

AMANE: (Fed-up-with-life face)

FUJI: WELL?

AMANE: You know what, hotshot? Yashiro was never anyone's in the first place. What made you think she's yours?

FUJI: Huh?

AMANE: We could've all been friends if it wasn't for a girl, you know? You're the one making enemies from your delusions.  Have you ever done anything to make yourself stand out?

FUJI: ...

AMANE: Tell you what, let's make a bet. Who can win Yashiro Nene's heart first?

FUJI: Heh. Didn't you just say that Yashiro isn't an object?