Chapter 36

The medicine that the doctor gave me allowed me to fall asleep for a few hours while I waited for Wes and the calvary to make their way to Fargo. I did talk with Tiff for a while and she told me everything she could about the newborn stage. Sadie was born at 37 weeks, so it made me feel a lot better knowing that it was only a week difference and Sadie is perfect in every way. When Wes got here, Tiff excused herself and gave us some privacy.

“How are you doing, darling?” Wes leaned over the bed to give me a big hug and kiss.

“I’m doing okay. Tiff made me feel a bit better about everything. I know there can be a huge difference in 36 and 37 weeks, but I think he’s going to be okay.

“Scoot over,” he pushes at my leg.

“Huh?”

“You heard me.” I scoot over to the side of the hospital bed and Wes crawls in behind me, wrapping his arm around my belly and kissing my neck.

“I don’t think you’re supposed to be on here.”

“I don’t care. I want to be close to you so you can feel my comfort.”

“I do feel better when I’m in your arms.”

“That’s what I thought.” We lay there for about fifteen minutes before the nurses come in and say that I need to get prepped for a c-section. The idea of surgery really scares me, but after weighing the pros and cons of a vaginal birth, everybody on my medical team agreed that being in charge as much as possible was going to be best. Dr. Gregory explained that the medications used to induce labor could cause some stress to the baby, something we certainly didn’t want.

Wes goes into the bathroom and gets changed into his scrubs while the nurse begins me on some medications to prep for the c-section. When he emerges from the bathroom I burst out laughing. The nurse has a good laugh too. They are about three inches too short and way too tight around his arms.

“See this is why I didn’t go to medical school, they don’t make scrubs in my size.’

I reach out and gently rub my hand over his bulging biceps. “I’m sure it had nothing to do with all those crappy science and math scores Mama tells me about.”

“Listen, I kept my grades up enough to play football.” Wes sits down next to me and takes my hand. The nurse gives us a moment of privacy while she checks on Dr. Gregory and the operating room. “Holden called Hannah, she’s on her way. Do you need us to get a hold of anybody else?”

I shake my head, “No, I think that’s all.” I let out a small sigh and he kisses my hand.

“Everything is going to be just fine baby. And when you’re done, our baby boy is going to be here. Isn’t that worth all of this?”

“Of course, Wes. It was so much easier to become Annabelle’s mom though.”

“Yeah, but you missed all the good stuff like poop up the back.”

I wiggle my eyebrows at him. “Good! That means you can be in charge of that stuff since you’re the expert.”

There is a knock at the door and Dr. Gregory opens it wearing his scrubs too. “Okay, mom and dad, the room is ready for you.”

Wes stands up and leans over the bed giving me one more long kiss. “I love you, darling.”

“I love you too, babe.” I slip my engagement ring off and put it in his hand and close his fingers over it. “Hold onto that for me, okay? I don’t want it to just be put in a bag somewhere.”