Chapter 15

It is the Thursday before Thanksgiving, which just so happens to also be Annabelle’s birthday. Per my promise to Wes, I’m in the back of the bakery packing up the cupcakes that I made for Annabelle. We went on our date a week ago and I really did have a good time. It took me back to those first few weeks of talking to him and how everything seemed to be so easy between the two of us. It may have started out a little awkward, but it ended on a really positive note.

We had a pretty open and honest conversation on Sunday that pretty much ended with being friends and seeing where things go in the future. I was worried that he would show disappointment in that, but he didn’t at all. He once again said that he thought I hated him, so friends would be better than nothing.

I turned around to grab a cardboard cupcake box when I was startled by Tiff poking her head into the kitchen. “Boo, Guess who?”

I put my hand on my heart to double-check for a beat and then started laughing. “Halloween was last month, sweetheart. And you nearly scared me dead. Try not to do that again.”

Tiff and I hugged, then she glanced at the work table to see the cupcakes that I was working in. “No way! Are those the cupcakes?”

Eleven of them are light blue icing mixed with white to create a winter effect and then I used edible glitter and a stencil to create snowflakes. The final one is the special birthday girl cupcake. I used light yellow, almost white frosting to create what looks like Elsa’s hair on a cupcake. It includes a crown plastic piece that can be put on before they set the cupcakes out.

“I had fun with these. Adults want boring designs, kid’s parties are where it is at! Do you think she’s going to like them?”

“Who cares if Annabelle likes them, I’m going to ask for Elsa cupcakes for my birthday, geez.”

I smile at her compliment. It always makes me feel satisfied when people like my work. “I’m almost done, just finishing up Elsa if you want to go take a seat upfront. Tell Gio you can have a cookie on me.”

“What about my friend?” She asks.

“What friend?” I look at her with a raised eyebrow while I grab the piping bag again.

She shrugs, “Just one of my favorite brothers-in-law.

I stop piping and look at her, “Seriously, Tiff, come on!”

“What?” She says it like she has no idea what I’m talking about, but her massive smile totally gives it away.

“Did you ask him to come or something? The last time I talked to him we agreed it was easier for you to just pick them up on your way home from work.”

“True, but have you seen the snow out there? I didn’t feel comfortable driving without chains on my tires and Jimmy forgot to put them on last night.”

I glare over at her, “You’re so full of shit.”

“Who me?” She feigns innocence.

“Yes, you.” I point my piping bag at her.

“Well regardless, he’s out there. You should come to say hi.” 

“Why are you doing this, Tiff? I told you we’re just friends.”

“I know that is what you said, but I’ve been talking to both of you and you’re going to drive me crazy because it is so obvious what you both want more than to be just friends.”

“I really don’t want to get into this again, Tiff. Wes and I are at a good place. Right now, I just want him to be my friend.”

She looks at me with a bit of judgment on her face. “You’re still holding onto the fact that he didn’t tell you about Annabelle.”