Chapter 10

I’m completely freaking out at the situation I have found myself in and in a total panic, I reach down to grab the large pieces of glass from the wine glass. My brain is not functioning properly, so I grab a jagged piece, and it jabs right into my hand. I attempt to ignore the pain in my chest, the glass in my hand, the anger in my mind, and the tears falling from my eyes.

“Holly, shit, let me help you.” Wes bends down next to me and I shove him away. In doing so I lose my balance and inadvertently place my hand right on the broken glass and even smaller shards crunch into my skin. If I wasn’t already experiencing a high-level of emotion, I’d probably be sobbing uncontrollably.

“Oh dammit, Holly, are you okay?” Wes tries to grab my hand and I pull it away from him and stand up. I carefully take steps around the glass and try to hurry into the house without making a scene. It was too late though. The other guy that was with Wes had apparently gone inside to say something and Tiff, Jimmy, and Stacy are rushing outside to see what happened.

“Holly, your hand!” Stacy shrieks and I look down at my hand that is covered full of blood and pieces of glass clearly sticking out of it. Tiff rushes inside to grab a towel and when she returns she tries to wrap it around my hand herself, but I just grab the towel from her and wrap it myself.

“I’m fine. I need to go. This was a mistake.” I rush through the house and out the front door, making large strides, attempting to get to my car. By now the pain from the glass is beginning to bypass my broken heart and I realize that this situation is really fucked up.

“Holly! Holly, please wait!” I hear Wes calling my name, but it just makes me move faster to avoid him. I dig into my purse with my left hand and grab my keys, attempting to unlock the door and get it. Before I can get in my car, Wes puts his hand over my shoulder and holds the door closed. His other hand wraps around my elbow gently as he attempts to turn me around.

“Please let me go,” I say through my tears.

“What happened back there, Holly? What are you even doing here?”

I turn around to face him, trying to put on a brave face. “Tiff invited me. I’m friends with her. Remember? I made her wedding cake.”

“What are you talking about? Why would I know how made Tiff’s wedding cake?”

I wave my left hand in front of me, trying to get him to step back. “I don’t know why you decided to pick me, Wes, I’d say I’m flattered, but I’m not. I’m so fucking embarrassed right now. Please just let me go home.”

“About your hand?” He asks. “There is nothing to be embarrassed about. We’re all just worried that you’re hurt.”

“Not my hand, I don’t care about my hand. I heard you talking to that guy, Wes. About Annabelle.”

He takes a step back and puts his hands up, “Listen, Holly, about that.”

He starts to talk, but I cut him off. “About what? You two were having troubles at home so you thought the best course of action was to get a side piece or something?”

His eyebrows furrow, “What the hell are you talking about, Holl? Annabelle is….”

I cut him off, not giving him the chance to respond. “You know I really fucking liked you, Wes. I was so excited about what could be between us. I had the BEST time the night you came over to my place. What was going on? Are you going to go all Friends on me and tell me that you were on a break?”

“Holly….” He tries once again, but I cut him off once more.

“No, I’m not done. Then you couldn’t even have the balls to tell me that you just needed to get your rocks off for a one-nighter. You send me a damn text message telling me that you don’t want to see me anymore? “