Chapter 26

The Christmas tree is surrounded by people in red flannel and I can honestly say that this is the most fun I’ve had on Christmas Eve as an adult. Even Raymond wore his pajamas, but I guess when you are the baby of the family and grandpa is wrapped around your little finger, you get what you want.

Annabelle is sitting on Tyler’s lap on the floor. Jimmy and Tiff are cuddled on the couch. Bobby is on one of the reclining chairs with Taryn on his lap. Raymond is on the other chair with Betsy sitting on the arm of the chair. Wes is sitting on the floor and I am situated between his legs with his arms wrapped around me. This is perfect.

We’re not doing gifts until tomorrow but, Betsy made hot chocolate and everybody grabbed some of my cookies to dip into their drink. The fire is roaring and we’re listening to the Brown family tell stories of their Christmas pasts. Everybody is laughing and engaging in conversation. Sometime between Betsy’s story about the boy’s trying to trap Santa and Bobby admitting that one year he stole everything from Tyler’s stocking and replace it with rocks, we notice that Annabelle has fallen asleep in Tyler’s arms.

“I’ll go tuck her in,” Wes whispers into my ear.

“Let me help.” Wes stands up and then grabs my hands to pull me up. He takes Annabelle from Tyler and we walk her up to her princess room and lay her in bed. We both give her kisses on the cheek and I make sure that she is tucked in good with her favorite blanket. She barely even moves a muscle, that girl is out like crazy.

“So I guess the trick to getting her to go right to sleep is keeping her up until 11?” Wes says as we stand in the doorway watching Annabelle in her room.

“I’m guessing that isn’t going to be her new bedtime.”

Wes snorts, “Oh heck no! 7:30 her little butt needs to be in bed.”

I look up at him and stick out my tongue, “You’re such a mean daddy.”

“Especially when I dole out spankings.” He swats me in the ass as we walk back down the stairs.

As we hit the living room again, Bobby and Taryn are in the process of putting on their jackets. “You’re heading out?”

“I’ll be back, I’m just going to take Taryn back to her grandparent’s house.”

“Aww, we’ll miss you! I’m so glad we got to meet.”

“Me too. I’ll be by sometime tomorrow evening, don’t worry.” I give Taryn a hug before she and Bobby head off. By the time we make it back into the living room, everybody is starting to break off to their sleeping arrangements for the night.

“So I guess Jimmy and Tiff get the couch since Annabelle is in Jimmy’s old room, huh?” Tyler decides.

“You wish asshole. You can sleep on the couch.”

Tyler whines back, “That’s not fair.”

“My wife is not sleeping on a couch,” Jimmy says with a growl.

Betsy speaks up, attempting to keep her adult children from starting a war in the living room. “Well, Tiff and Holly could sleep in Tyler’s old room and the four of you boys could figure out something between the other two rooms.”

Everybody starts to chuckle a bit until Wes finally speaks up. “No offense, mama, but Holly and I were going to spend the night together.”

“Oh really? You’re just dating, why would you sleep in the same room.” She puts her hands on her hips and raises her eyebrow. Wes goes to open his mouth with what could only be the most awkward response, but Betsy holds up her hand. “Oh, you are so stinking gullible. Of course, she is staying with you.”