Chapter 33

FOURTH OF JULY

There is no way around it, bed rest sucks. The only saving grace for these last two or so months has been the support of my growing family unit. Wes does what he can to make sure I have everything I need, but he’s putting in 10-12 hours days on the ranch and working on the house.. While he is working, Mama Betsy and Annabelle do a wonderful job taking care of me during the day though.

Annabelle doesn’t quite understand why I can’t get out of bed that often, even after we explained that Baby Brother was giving mommy some troubles. She’s gotten used to it though and she even curls up with me in the morning after Wes leaves to go to work. Mama Betsy brings up breakfast in the morning and then I get showered and we head downstairs for the day.

My brother and sister have both made their way over for a couple of visits. Holden is actually going to be coming next week for an extended stay. When Wes was talking to him about the cabin, Holden said he’d love to help since he has a lot of experience in construction. The Browns have plenty of room for Holden to stay while he’s here so it is kind of a win-win situation.

Speaking of the house, there is actually progress being made, a lot more than I thought they’d be able to get done. All of the guys have been putting in hours on their off time and Raymond even contracted out some of the major work to get as much done before the baby arrives. It is just another example of how amazing this family is and all the people that they employ.

Today is the Fourth of July, which is always a huge deal in the Brown household. They have this area on their property that gets an amazing view of the fireworks show in Waldorf. I was a little sad thinking I wouldn’t be able to go out there, but of course, that wasn’t an option. Tiff and Stacy are coming to get me in a little bit and take me over there.

“Hey girly!” Stacy sticks her head into the bedroom.

“Stacy! Oh, I’ve missed your face.”

She laughs and steps inside the room, “Hush, I was here two days ago.”

I groan and rub my belly, “I know, but it was a long two days”.

“Then I guess it is a good thing that we’re going to have some fun tonight. You ready to go?”

I swing my legs over the side of the bed in preparation to stand up and get ready. “I think so. I still can’t believe you convinced Wes that I could leave the house to go out there.”

“It took some convincing, but we have the perfect setup. In fact, Tiff said she might do this every year because it looks comfortable.”

Stacy helps me stand up and after a bathroom trip I get changed into a long maxi dress. I make my way out to the car where Tiff is waiting. We exchange hugs and then they start driving out to the little overlook area. Once we pull up I can already see their little setup for me.

“I can’t believe you both did this!”

Tiff wrapped her arms around me again. “There was no way in hell you were missing out on the Fourth of July. Plus this is the anniversary of the day Jimmy proposed, so the day is special to me too.”

“I love you both, thank you again.”

Wes meets us at the car and he helps me out. He walks me over to his truck that has been transformed into a bed on wheels. They took a mattress and slid it into the back of Wes’s truck and piled on blankets and pillows. Wes lifts me up onto the truck and then climbs up to help me move back.

“You good?” He asks.

“Can I get one more pillow for my lower back?”

“Of course.” He helps me sit up and stuffs another pillow in my back and I lean back against his truck and Wes takes a seat next to me and I lay my head on his shoulder.

“This is so perfect. Thanks for letting them take over your truck.”

“Are you kidding me? I’m keeping the truck just like this. Especially for after the baby.” He nudges at me and gives me those sexy eyes of his. I know what he’s talking about. With bedrest also comes no sex. I’m not even going to lie, it sucks so bad. I want nothing more than to ride this man hard, but I’m not even supposed to orgasm. I’ve been doing my best to keep him satisfied, but not being able to get the favor returned blows, no pun intended. 

“Daddy! Your truck looks so cool.” Annabelle is riding on Tyler’s back and he brings her over to us. She hops off and squeezes in between us like she always does. 

“Is Baby Brother moving today?” She looks up at me hopefully.

“A little bit.” I take Annabelle’s hand and put it on my right side where I usually feel his kicks. She rests her head on my belly and lays there until she feels a strong kick.

“I felt it!”

“I know, he must have been saying hi.”

“Daddy, daddy, you feel.”

Wes leans over and rests his hand on my stomach next to Annabelle’s. He actually feels the baby move all the time because it is one of his favorite things to do at night. More than once I’ve woke up in the middle of the night to see Wes’s hand on my belly. Part of me feels really bad that he didn’t get to experience this with Annabelle’s pregnancy, but the petty bitch in me doesn’t want to think about him experiencing something to intimate with any other woman.

“Did you feel it?” Annabelle asks Wes.

Wes nods, “I can feel it. He’s a strong little man.”

“Just like his daddy,” I smile up at Wes.

“Oh, I was going to say just like his mommy,” He gives me a little wink.

As the evening falls on us, more and more people join in our little party. I say little, but none of Betsy’s parties for the ranchers are ever little. The gals are all up on the bed of Wes’s truck and the guys are sitting on chairs next to us. Annabelle and Sadie have both fallen asleep. This was the perfect idea even with kids because they can rest comfortably.

“That beer looks so good,” I look longingly at the feer Tiff is sipping on.

“Score one for adoption, I didn’t have to give up my alcohol.”

“At least you went out with a bang, it would have been New Year’s right?”

I laugh thinking back at the memory. “Oh my gosh, we were so wasted. I don’t even think I woke up hungover, I’m pretty sure I was still drunk.”

“Well, I just did that like a couple of weeks ago, so woohoo at being childless!”  Sheila and Candy give each other high 5s. They both love being aunties, but they’ve been very clear that they have zero intention of ever being parents themselves. Candy jokes that the best part about being a lesbian and no accidental pregnancies. She makes a great auntie though.

Our conversation is interrupted by a blast of fireworks in the distance. I’ve never seen them from up here before and it is stunning. I can see why they do this every year. Annabelle stirs awake at the noise and sits up in my arms.

“Mommy, look!”

“I see them, sweetie. They’re so pretty.”

Annabelle nestles in my arms and I lean my head on her light brown curls as we watch the fireworks. All of a sudden I feel a sharp pain in my stomach that causes me to sit up.

“Mommy?”

“Holly!” Wes notices my change in posture right away and quickly climbs into the truck. Everybody is staring at us as he rests his hands on my stomach. “Hey, you okay?”

“Yeah, just I don’t know something really sharp went through my stomach, but I’m okay now.”

“You sure?” He doesn’t seem convinced.

“Yeah. I’m sure.,” I smile and wrap my arms around his neck.

“Jesus, you scared me.” Stacy moves over and Wes settles in next to me and takes Annabelle in his arms. I rub my belly, trying to ease my nerves. I don’t know what that was, but it sure was an awakening. Baby boy needs to stay in there a little while longer, that’s for sure.

Match Made in Valley View (Valley View Book #2) On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara