Chapter 8

Armed with a half sheet of chocolate cake and a half sheet of vanilla, I pull into Jimmy and Tiff’s driveway the morning of their housewarming party. The house is a cute farm style cottage home that totally fits what you’d think of when somebody said home in Valley View. They painted it a navy blue color siding with gray accents and dark gray shutters on the window. There are mums in big planters in the front yard, but I suspect that is for just today as flowers are not going to last very long with the cold temperatures well on their way. As I approach the front door, Jimmy thankfully opens it. I hadn’t really planned the entire thing well, my arms being full of cakes and all.

“Hi, Holly! I hope you found the place alright.”

“I did. I was actually over here not that long ago delivering a birthday cake. I didn’t even know this was the house you two were remodeling. It looks beautiful.”

Jimmy offers to help with the cake and I oblige. He takes the cakes while I step inside and look around. The house looks like something straight off of HGTV. The dark wood floors are polished and stained beautifully. There are accents that show the age of the house, like built ins, but they blend in so well with the modern light fixtures and color choices.

“This place is beautiful, Jimmy. Did you and Tiff do most of the work?”

“Well we didn’t hire contractors, but I wouldn’t say we did it on our own,” Jimmy replied, which didn’t exactly answer my question.

“Jimmy wouldn’t want to break a nail!” Tiff comes down from the second level and gives Jimmy a kiss on the cheek.

“She is such a jerk to me.” Jimmy remarks as he walks down the hallway with the cakes.

“Well somebody has to help Mama Betsy keep you Brown brothers in check.” I follow Tiff as she walks down the same hallway and we meet Jimmy in the kitchen.

“How is your mom, Jimmy? I haven’t seen her since the wedding. I can’t believe it has been over a year already.”

“She’s doing great. I should send her over to you sometime. Candy usually spoils her with enough sweets, no offense.”

“Oh, none taken, believe me. I bought one of her berry pies at Easter and I swear to you I almost ate the entire thing in one sitting. She certainly has the skills to back up all the wonderful reviews she gets.”

“Speaking of desserts!” Tiff looks excited as she looks down at the boxes.

“Take a look at them. I know you said just plain sheet cakes, but I added some extra flair to them with the piping.”

Tiff opens the first box and goes a cute little happy dance. “I thought I said just one cake?”

“I know, but you said to just pick between chocolate and vanilla and I can never pick just one. So you ended up with two.’

“You’re hilarious, but I’m totally down with the two cakes and I cannot wait to try them both.”

I help Tiff remove the cakes from the boxes and she takes in the cakes while I look in her kitchen and start looking over everything here. “I can’t believe this kitchen, Tff. I would die to have a double oven. I guess the only positive is if I needed another oven I could just go downstairs and use the bakery.”

Jimmy laughs, “I love my house, but I’d totally live above a bakery. I might gain fifty pounds, but it would be worth it.”

“Any it would have to be better than living above a garage,” she raises her eyebrows while looking at her husband.