Chapter 29

MARCH

It has been three weeks since Valentine’s Day and I am not sure that the high of telling Wes that we were going to have a baby has worn off at all. I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous to tell him. I know that things with Annabelle’s mother didn’t go as planned and part of me worried that he’d hold that grudge towards me, thinking that I was going to give him another baby out of wedlock.

Instead, he was the most excited I have ever seen him about anything and it makes me fall in love with him all over again. For the last three weeks, we have kept the secret between us, well almost just us. I did tell Stacy because she is my best friend and I couldn’t keep it from her. Other than Stacy though, we haven’t said anything to anybody.

Today we’re heading to my OB in Waldorf and afterward, we plan on telling everybody about the baby. Betsy is going to be on cloud nine as she is already excited about Jimmy and Tiff’s new addition who should be here any day. Wes stayed at my place last night since he wasn’t going to work on the ranch today. He told his parents I had a doctor’s appointment that I couldn’t drive myself to. I think they just assume it had to do with the accident soon. Regardless, they didn’t ask any other questions.

Wes pokes his head into the bathroom as I get out of the shower. “Hey, darling. I made you breakfast when you’re ready.”

“You made breakfast?” 

“Don’t be so surprised, I’m a man of many talents.” He sneaks up behind me and kisses the back of my neck. “Just like last night.”

I swat at him, just be dodges out of the way. “Pervert.”

“Love you.”

“Uh-huh, sure.”

I get dressed in a maxi style dress with a denim jacket and make my way out to the kitchen where I see him standing at the toaster with waffles.

“Oh hey! Here you go, love.” Wes hand me a plate of waffles.

“You made frozen waffles?”

“I did, what’s your point?”

“Oh, I don’t have one. I love you.” I reach up and kiss him on his cheek.

I dig into the plate of waffles when a thought comes over me. “Wait, I didn’t have frozen waffles.”

“I ran to the market when you were in the shower.”

“All of this for me?” I tease him and he looks back at me with a joking scowl.

“Your sarcasm is noted, princess. Now eat something so we can get going.”

“Yes sir.”

After cleaning up from breakfast, I grab my purse and follow Wes downstairs to his truck. He opens the door for me and I use the side handle to pull myself into the truck with an extra groan. “Are you okay, Holls? Was that too hard?”

“Calm down, daddy, I’m just fine.” I rub my belly, “Although in a few months I doubt I’m going to be able to do this.”

“I already thought about that.” He shuts the door and comes around to his side and hops up into the driver’s seat.

“Thought about what?” I ask him when he gets into the driver’s seat.

“I talked to Tyler and he’s going to order those step bars to put on my truck. It should help a lot.”

“You told Tyler about the baby?”

“What? No! I just said that with Annabelle getting to the point where she likes to buckle herself in that it would be nice if she could get up herself.”