Chapter 22

Wes slept for a couple of hours and although I was tired I couldn’t sleep after his expression of love for me. I kept telling myself it is because we’re just stressed and tired and he didn’t really mean it. I mean, it was barely conscious with he said it. That doesn’t mean that I don’t do my best overthinking about the situation.

Love, I’ve told exactly one boyfriend that I loved him, and no soon after that did he drop kick my heart across the room and force me to move on without him. I always dreamed of having the love that my parents did, could Wes be that person? I don’t know. Our relationship feels so, complicated. It’s the only word to describe it. The passion is there, the lust is there, but love? 

Wes finally wakes up and it is just in time for the ortho doctor to come back in with the results of the x-rays. He goes over all of the information for physical therapy appointments that Annabelle will need to attend and then our follow-up visit here with him. I say “our” because he’s talking to the two of us, but is there even an “us?” I don’t know.

“So it is going to be two weeks with the cast on and then we will revisit and probably retake x-rays,” the doctor finishes up.

Wes nods in understanding, “Are you still thinking 6-8 weeks in the cast?”

“Kid’s bones tend to heal a little faster, but I’m sticking with that estimate for right now. We will revisit it in two weeks.”

“And pain management?” Wes looks over at his daughter.”

The doctor sighs, “The next couple days are going to be the worst. Here she is getting consistent meds through the IV. At home, things can be forgotten. Be sure that you stay on top of the medication. It will make her sleepy, even though it is such a low-dose.”

I’m sure that it is better for Annabelle to be sleeping than dealing with the pain, but it is hard to see her in such a constant state of zoned out. Even when she is awake, sometimes she’s not all there. We’ve had very limited moments of seeing the real Annabelle since we’ve been here.

“Do the two of you have any other questions for me?”

I shake my head, “I can’t think of any at this time. Wes?”

“No, no I think we’re good. I just want to get her discharged and home.”

“The nurses have already started the paperwork. They are going to miss Annabelle though. Apparently she plays a mean game of Go Fish.” The doctor says with a chuckle.

Wes smirks, “I’m pretty sure she counts cards or hides some up her sleeve.”

The doctor shakes both of our hands and steps back out into the hallway. Wes sighs heavily and sits back down on the couch. I take a seat next to him and pull his hand into my lap. “Hey, you okay? I mean, all things considered?”

“Yeah, yeah I’ll be okay. It is just so much.” He runs his hands through his hair. His face tells the story of his exhaustion. “Holly?”

He gives me hand a little squeeze. “Yeah?”

“I couldn’t have done this without you. I know that this,” he points back and forth between us, “hasn’t gone the way either of us probably planned, but over the last week and a half, I realized that you are so important to me and to Annabelle.” I smile up at him as I run my hand up and down his arm. Wes chuckles a bit, “You probably think I’m a huge pussy or something.”

“Just the opposite, Wes. You’ve put on such a tough face for everybody. I’m glad that I can be here for you and let you feel everything you really want to feel.”

“When things calm down, I want to take you out on another date.”

I reach up and rest my hand against the back of his neck, “I’d really like that.”