Chapter 14

Four times. That is how many times throughout the week I picked up the phone to cancel my date with Wes. I never ended up doing it, I kept chickening out. Granted, I didn’t really have a good reason, except that I was still mad about his lying and him thinking I’d just roll over and take it. However, I promise him a date, so tonight we’re going on a date.

I really just wanted to just go to one of the small places in Harlington or the Watering Hole, but he said that he wanted to take me out for real, not just a casual thing. Rather than just someplace close by we’re driving to Waldorf, about a two and a half-hour drive, to go to the only Mexican food restaurant within a four-hour drive from us. As much as I thought about arguing with him, Mexican food sounded really good.

I’m expecting Wes here any minute so I take one final look in the bedroom mirror.. I’m wearing a burgundy sweater dress that hits right above the knee. I have on fleece-lined leggings because it is pretty chilly today and I have on black boots that go up to mid-thigh. I couldn’t decide what to do with my hair. I put it up, down, up, down. Finally decided to keep it down. 

The downstairs doorbell dings and I buzz the door open. A few moments later, Wes knocks on the front door. I open it and see him standing there with a bouquet of white hydrangea flowers. He’s wearing dark denim jeans with a crisp white collared shirt with a charcoal gray dress coat. He smiles and hands me the flowers. I take a big whiff as I step aside to let him in.

“These are beautiful, Wes. Thank you.”

“I hope you like them. I was going to do roses, but it seems like everybody buys roses. You deserve something better.”

I can feel my cheeks blushing a bit so I turn to walk into the kitchen while I keep talking to him. “These are so beautiful. I love roses too, but something different is cool. Let me just get a vase for them.”

“Of course.” Wes follows behind me and leans against the kitchen island as I fill the vase with water. I set them on the middle of the kitchen table and then grab my purse and coat that are sitting on the back of the couch.

“Ready?” I say to him.

He winks at me, “I’ve been ready since about three this afternoon.”

“Oh yeah? Why is that?”

“Just eager, I guess.” He shrugs like it is no big deal. Wes and I walk to his truck where he opens the door and offers his hand to give me an extra boost. It is a quiet drive at first. I won’t lie and pretend like there isn’t some awkwardness in us being together. I try to break the ice and get him talking.

“So do you like Mexican?”

“Mama makes great tacos, but I’m pretty sure they aren’t very Mexican. Tiff started making tamales last year at Christmas time. They’re really good and I’m hoping they have some here. We’ll see. I’ve never been to this place.” 

“What’s your favorite type of food?”

“Steak,” he says without missing a beat.

I reach over the push against his arm, “Oh stop, that’s the easy answer. Steak doesn’t count.”

“Okay fine, I’d have to say pizza. Is that an okay answer?”

I giggle a bit, “Pizza is good. I’m so typical though, I like just pepperoni. I know some people like all that junk on their pizza, but either cheese or pepperoni.”

“Nothing wrong with being typical. Sausage is my favorite. That’s kind of typical and normal too.”

“Have you ever tried breakfast pizza?”