Chapter 30

My doctor’s office is right down the street from the hospital, so it doesn’t take us long to get to there and park. We head to the south wing where the maternity ward if and find Jimmy and Tiff in the waiting room when we get there. I hurry over to Tiff and give her a big hug. She’s a bundle of nerves, I can feel it through the hug. I bet Jimmy is the same way.

“Do you have any updates?” I ask her after finishing my hug.

Tiff shakes her head, “They brought her in this morning because her water broke. We got the call about two hours ago. They don’t want us back there, but everybody knows the situation so they are going to get us a room set up when they have one free on the recovery floor.”

“The birth parents don’t want you to see them at all?” Wes asks.

“No,” Jimmy replies this time. “According to the adoption counselor, they just prefer that everything is kept anonymous. I guess the dad isn’t even here. I don’t think they’re together anymore.”

“That’s sad,” I say with a frown.

“I know. I did a lot of reading about things moms need after giving birth and I put together a care package for her.” Tiff points over to the gift basket sitting on the ground. “I hope that it’ll at least give her a bit of comfort.”

Being from the small area of North Dakota that we are, Tiff and Jimmy never expected to adopt from a family nearby. Nobody knows the entire story, but apparently, they are from around here. I think they said she’s sixteen and they did not want to keep the baby. Since Jimmy and Tiff were close by and a young couple with no other kids, they picked them.

The adoption will be completely closed and the records sealed. Mom will be signing over parental rights right after the baby is born and the newborn will be placed with Jimmy and Tiff. Although the entire family is over the moon excited, we still feel a bit sad that these kids have to go through this.

About an hour after we arrive, the rest of the Brown family shows up as well as Candy, she is best friends with Tiff. Annabelle was with Betsy, so they drove her into town. She’s holding a new teddy bear and even she looks nervous.

“Come here, Banana,” Tiff waves Annabelle over to her. She takes a seat in the spot between Jimmy and Tiff and holds the bear tight.

“Whatchu got there sweetheart?” Jimmy asks his niece.

“It’s for the baby,” she says softly, holding up the bear for Jimmy to see.

“Oh yeah? I bet they’ll like it. You excited to be a cousin?”

She nods, finally starting to smile a bit, “Uh huh. I’m gonna hold the new baby ALL the time and teach it how to walk.”

I lay my head on Wes’s shoulder and smile. He rubs my leg and we have one of those conversations with each other without saying words. Annabelle is going to be so excited to be a big sister and she’s going to be so good with a new baby.

Finally, Jimmy and Tiff get called back. We’re currently in labor and delivery, they’re actually moving up a floor to the maternity recovery ward. We gather all our belongings and move from one waiting room up to another. Bobby and Tyler make a run to the local sandwich shop to get everybody something to eat while we continue our wait. After four hours of being at the hospital, Jimmy comes out the doors with a huge smile on his face.

“She’s here.”

“She?? Oh my god did you say she?” Candy jumps to her feet.

Betsy’s hands cover her mouth and she gets tears in her eyes. “I get another granddaughter?”