Chapter 28

VALENTINE’S DAY

“Do you and Wes have plans tonight?” Maddie’s question causes me to look up from my work.

“Yes and no. I’m going there after I leave, but we’re not doing anything special. His mom is making dinner.”

“Why don’t you two go out?” She asks.

I give her a small shrug, “I don’t know, we talked about it, but we’d rather just do something as a family. I did make a heart-shaped cake yesterday though.”

“I swear you bake as much off the clock as you do on.”

“Am I ever off the clock?” I laugh.

“Good point.”

I finish packing the last gift box and wash up, “What about you and Mike? Mark? Sorry I know it starts with an M.”

She chuckles, “Mike, you got it right the first time. We’re going to Waldorf to go to the Chuck Wagon. Typical, right?”

“I hope you at least have reservations!”

“Oh yes! He made them last month.”

Maddie and I have been working nonstop today. Kathy and Gio will be closing up tonight, but so many people have come in throughout the day to either pick up their special orders or see what we have in stock for last-minute gifts. I offered a really great pre-sale for cookies and cakes this year in an attempt to avoid running out of treats like I did last year. So far it was a great business plan!

After work, I stop by my place and grab my already packed bag, and get started on my drive to the ranch. We may not be spending the night doing something super special, but it IS Valentine’s Day and I have a special surprise just for Wes and I’m pretty sure he isn’t expecting at all.

I pull up the ranch at about 3 o’clock and I see him and some of the other ranchers doing their normal daily work. I wave as I drive down the long road. He’s on his horse Jedi, a black horse with one stripe of white on his chest. He’s such a handsome beauty that I’ve only met a few times, but Wes promised this summer we could spend time outside with him. Even Annabelle likes to ride him!

Since Wes is still busy working, I head into the house myself. I knock before entering even though she doesn’t care if I knock anymore. “Hey Betsy! It’s me!”

“Hi dear, we’re in the kitchen!” I peek into the kitchen and see Betsy and Annabelle at the small table with red and pink hearts everywhere.

“Oh my, what is going on in here?”

“Don’t tell daddy, it is a surprise!”

“Don’t worry, my lips are sealed.” I pretend to lock my lips and throw away the key. I give Annabelle a kiss on the head and Betsy a hug before taking my bag upstairs to Wes’s room and head back down to the kitchen where they have started to clean up their craft.

“What you are making for dinner, Betsy? It smells amazing!”

“Just a beef roast and vegetables. When Wes said you two were staying in I tossed it in the crockpot.”

“I can’t wait. I brought a cake for dessert if you didn’t see it already.”

“Yay cake!” Annabelle squeals and claps her hands together

“Of course, you’d love the cake.”

“Duh, you know me, Holly!” She jokingly gives me a bit of sass.