Chapter 7

Wes walked out the door that night and never looked back. It has been two weeks, and although I can’t say that I wasn’t feeling depressed and insulted at the time, I wasn’t going to wallow in my sorrows over a man that didn’t even have the balls to tell me to my face that he didn’t want to continue, whatever it was that we were building. I gave myself one day to be sad because I was really starting to like him. I gave myself one day to feel like a whore because I had only seen the guy a whopping three times before I decided to sleep with him and finally I gave myself two days to be straight up pissed off. I was only going to give myself one day, but I was so angry I decided that I would allow two.

But that is all said and done now. Frankly, I have so much to do with work that Wes isn’t worth the mental space in my brain anymore. I went a year and a half without seeing him, I doubt I’ll be running into him anytime soon. My focus needed to be on work and not boys. Wes could suck it.

One of my part-timers Maddie is working the front of the store today while I am elbow deep in caramel buttercream. I’m putting the final touches on these cupcakes for the preschool bake sale that begins tomorrow. I told Tiff that I would put together a few dozen for her and she should be here any minute to pick up the donation. My phone begins ringing and I have to quickly clean up and I just barely hit the green button to accept the call.

“Hey, Stacy!”

“Holly, my girl, what is going on?”

“Not much, you’re on speaker so be good.”

She laughs, “Why am I on speaker?”

“Because I’m working, are you not working?”

“Meh, the shop is practically empty except for Georgia.”

I hear some muffled talking in the background. “What was that?”

“It was Georgia. She said hi.”

“Well, tell her I said hi back. So what do I owe this pleasure?”

“So you need to get over Wes, so let’s take a trip up to Fargo for the weekend and hit up a dance club. Maybe find you a hot college boy.”

I throw my head back in laughter, “Good lord, Stacy I’m 32 years old I am not going to try and get with a 21-year-old college kid.”

She huffs, “Why not?”

“Many reasons, but mostly because I’m no cougar. No, I take that back, mostly because I don’t have to get over anything.”

Stacy coughs out, “Lies.”

“No lies. Wes and I had a fling that turned into a one-nighter. I’m a big girl, I can handle a one night stand.”

“Holly, you liked him, just admit it.” Her judgement is almost seeping through the phone lines.

“I did like him, but I wasn’t in love or anything. Plus, I don’t want to be with a guy that can just break something off on text. He was hot and if he wanted to just do something casual I would have probably been down with that. Wes made it all fucking weird by pretending he wanted something that he didn’t.”

“Alright. But seriously, we need to do something.”

“I know. Let me check my schedule and we will plan something. If we wait any further you’re going to lose me to all the holidays.”

“Love you girl!”

“Love you too!”

I use my knuckle to press the button to end the call and slide my phone away from the counter so it doesn’t get frosting on it.