Chapter 31

END OF MARCH

Sadie is now two weeks old and we decided to put together a little co-ed baby shower for Jimmy and Tiff since we didn’t do one before. Candy and I had talked about doing something before the baby was born, but Tiff and Jimmy were so nervous about the birth parents changing their minds, so we decided to wait. Now that Sadie is safe in their arms and all the needed paperwork was signed, we started planning a party.

Everybody is beyond excited that we’re adding a new addition to the family as well. I’m only 14 weeks pregnant, but over the last two weeks I have gone from ‘ate too much at dinner’ to ‘there is definitely something else going on down there.’ I also officially moved in with Wes, which is weird because he’s still living in the ranch house with Betsy and Raymond, but it works for us.

Today I’m driving Annabelle to the bakery so we can pick up the cake that Kathy made for the baby shower. I was going to do it, but she told me I wasn’t allowed to work on family events and she would take care of it. She’s right though, I’d probably end up trying to make my own wedding cake and baby shower cake if somebody didn’t step in and physically stop me.

“Mommy?” Annabelle says with a huge grin. I’m still not totally used to being called mommy, but she loves it and if I’m being honest, I do too.

I glance in the rear view mirror to her car seat in the back, “Yes, Annabelle?” 

“Can Baby Sadie eat cake?”

“No. Most babies can’t have cake until they are about a year old.”

“If she can’t eat cake, then why did we get her a cake?”

“Good question. I guess it is just kind of a cake for everybody to celebrate that Sadie is with us, not for Sadie.”

“I don’t think that makes sense.”

I chuckle a bit, “It does sound a little funny, doesn’t it?”

“Are we all going to get in Auntie Tiff’s shower?”

I seriously love the innocence of this child, she is always saying things that make me laugh. “No sweetie, they call it a baby shower because we shower the new baby with lots of gifts and love. Not a real shower like what adults take.”

“Oh,” she pauses for a second and then speaks up again. “Are you going to have a baby shower too?”

“Yes, I probably will. Auntie Tiff and Miss Stacy will probably put together one for this baby.”

That seems to be all the questions that she has for now. We finish the drive into town and I park in the alleyway behind the bakery. I help her out of her car seat and hold her hand as we walk through the back door. Gio is carrying a tray of muffins and waves at us as he heads to the front.

“Hey, Holly! Hey there, Annabelle!” Annabelle giggles and hides behind my leg. She’s got a little crush on Gio.

“Hey, Gio! Where is Kathy?”

“Kathy is right here!” From the front of the store, Kathy hollers at us. We follow Gio as he puts the muffins away in the display case. He even pulls one out to give to Annabelle and she blushes.

“Why don’t you go sit down at the table while Miss Kathy and I talk?” Annabelle nods and prances off the the table and begins to pick at her cupcake.

“How are you feeling?” Kathy turns her attention back to me.

“Great! Very excited about the baby shower.”