Chapter 34

Although the pain that I had experienced on the Fourth of July was concerning, I had an ultrasound scheduled for the next week and Dr. Gregory said that everything was looking good and my cervix had only thinned out a bit more. He suspects that it was either round ligament pain or a Braxton Hicks contraction. Either way, it was nothing to worry about, and that at least put my mind at ease. I couldn’t say the same for Wes, but I’m not sure he had stopped worrying since I told him I was pregnant.

I hated spending the summer on bedrest, but everybody did what they could to make me feel involved. Betsy did a lot of cookouts and get-togethers at the ranch so I could see everybody. Once a week Stacy took me into town to check on the bakery. As long as I stayed sitting the entire time we were there and didn’t attempt to get up and work, it was okayed. I was still able to work doing the behind-the-scenes bookkeeping and general ownership stuff, but it wasn’t the same.

I really missed out on the bakery and Kathy assisted me in hiring a full-time baker. We are in the process of hiring another part-timer because Gio will be leaving for college in a couple of weeks. Kathy put an ad in the newspaper and a young lady from Waldorf had called expressing interest. The only bakery experience she has was working at the grocery store, but if she can handle the front of the store, Kathy can train her to do other things.

The house is coming along really well and everybody is hoping it’ll be done by the time the baby is born as long as he doesn’t decide to come early. I may not be able to help with much, but Wes is always bringing me samples of flooring, paint colors, etc and I’m picking out what we put in there. Thanks to Amazon, I’ve also been able to buy a lot of things for the baby.

I wasn’t expecting anything different to happen today. Annabelle and Betsy were downstairs making breakfast and I was scrolling through the laptop looking at different designs for the bedrooms with there was a knock on the door. I assumed that was just one of the Brown family members. “Come in!”

The door opens slowly and Holden pops his head in. “Hey, sis!”

“Holden! What are you doing here?” I hadn’t seen Holden in a few days so it was nice to see a different face. 

“Just wanted to check in before I headed down to the house.”

Holden has been staying in one of the ranch houses while he is working on the house with Wes. I love that my brother is helping my future husband work on our family home. I know if my dad was alive he would be right there as well. Holden takes a seat on the edge of the bed. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m good, just tired.”

He gives me a glimpse of a smile, “What kind of tired? Tired of sitting in this room, tired?”

“Yeah, and regular tired too. You’d think on bedrest you’d rest a lot, but this kid is always up in my ribs.” I rub my hand over the area of my ribs that always seems to hurt these days.

“Have you decided on a name yet?”

“I think we’ve got a couple of good contenders.”

“Well at least with a strong middle name like Holden, he’ll have that to fall back on.”

I don’t mean to laugh so loudly, but it just came out. “Oh, you wish I was naming my baby after you!”

He puffs his chest out a bit, “It is the most obvious choice, you know?”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” I close my laptop and set it down next to me. “In all seriousness, his middle name is going to be Charles.”