Chapter 5

Sunday was spent prepping and getting ready for Wes to come over for dinner. I almost called him a dozen times to cancel and a family of butterflies had taken up shelter in my stomach and weren’t going easy on me. In a last-ditch attempt to calm me down, I picked up my phone to call Stacy. She picked up on the second ring and I went right into my rant.

“I’m freaking out, Stacy, why am I freaking out?”

I could hear her give a bit of a chuckle on the other end of the call. “I don’t know. Wes seems pretty into you. You should probably calm down a little bit.”

“What if I burn something for dinner?”

“When is the last time you burned anything?”

“Well shit, I don’t know.”

“Take a few deep breaths and get yourself together.”

“Okay, you’re right.” I take two deep breaths.

“How long until he is going to be there?”

“He said not until 5.”

“Um, Holl?”

“Yeah?”

“It’s 4:50.”

I pull the phone away from my ear and look at the time. “Shit, shit, shit. I’m not even dressed yet!” I can hear Stacy laughing through the phone, though I can’t figure out what is so funny to her. “STACY!” I yell at her.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I love you, go get ready, Wes is going to love your dinner. I hope you shaved your legs.”

“What? Why would I need….”

I try to finish my sentence, but instead, she says goodbye and hangs up the phone. I toss the phone down on the bed, frustrated. She was supposed to calm me down and did the exact opposite.

I’m no spring chicken and I’ve been on my fair share of dates before, but something seems to be something different about Wes. He’s unlike a lot of guys I’ve liked in the past, but I think it may be a sign that I am growing up and maturing. I always had a “bad boys” kick growing up. I’m sure I gave my parents all the gray hairs in the world. If you were tall, had a few tattoos, and a pack of cigarettes in your back pocket I’d lay down in bed for you no questions asked.

I mean, I wasn’t the type of girl to sleep around or anything, but man I loved those bad boys. Wes doesn’t seem like a bad boy though. He’s a rancher, a lifelong Valley View resident and he loves his mama. That’s got to make him a great guy, right? And be bought me a flower the other night when he dropped by unannounced.

Definitely not a bad guy, but boy do I was to do some bad girl stuff to him. I don’t have time to daydream now though because he’s going to be here any second and I didn’t pay enough attention to time. I already picked out my outfit, casual, but cute. A pair of light wash denim jeans that are cuffed at my ankles and a coral colored tank top with lace hem. I toss on a navy blue striped sweater over it to complete the look. It is perfect for the late August weather that is mostly warm but gets a bit chilly at night.

I barely get my hair out of my ponytail and dry shampooed before I hear Wes ring the doorbell down below and I buzz him up. I open the front door and he is standing there is a dark wash denim jeans with a gray cotton T-shirt, perfectly pressed and wrinkle-free. He isn’t wearing a cowboy or baseball hat and his hair is tousled around to perfection.

“Oh wow, is that product in your hair?” I tease him a bit.

He chuckles as I step aside to let him in. “For your information, I can shower and be presentable if the situation calls for it.”