Through the Crowd

Start from the beginning

There was no one here.

He stepped out quickly into the hallway and continued forward as silent as possible clutching the stuffed animal to his chest like a talisman against being caught.

So far it was doing it's job.

He kept his head low and his face mostly covered, using his thermal vision to see through the fabric and make his way into the crowd. He caught the attention of some humans of course, but the way they smiled, tilted their heads and looked after him with bemusement gave him hope that they simply assumed he was one of their small offspring.

The further he went into the station, the larger the crowds grew, until he was being buffeted about in all directions by moving people dragging suitcases. It was hard not to get pulled along by the tide, but he knew where he needed to go, and hopefully when he got there he could figure out what the next plan of action was.

Looking up he made eye contact with a wide eyed small child holding a similar stuffed animal.

He stared at her and she stared back.

He gave her a tentative wave, and she responded in kind, a look of near confusion on her face as he ducked and continued forward.

Overhead there was a sudden flashing of red light.

WARNING: Station command reports wanted subject loose on station, all flights are hereby grounded. Please follow the blinking lines to nearby holding areas.

The humans and aliens alike had all drawn to a stop and were looking upward. There was a collective muttering from the crowd around them as the humans grumbled. Some of them looked almost worried, while the vast majority of them simply seemed annoyed.

"I have a meeting in eight hours!. One of the humans exclaimed turning to the nearest station employee.

The look on their face was one of defeat as they watched a line of angry people and aliens begin to form before them.

Riss used the anger and confusion to push through the crowd as his own accusatory face stared down at him from the wanted signs.

"Hello there, where are your parents."

He turned, trying to figure out where the voice was coming from, and found a tall, plump, and pleasant looking lady staring down at him from above. He paused not wanting to appear rude, but also not wanting to be noticed.

"here why don't we take you to the help desk and-"

He shook his head and pointed towards one of the other terminals.

"Are your parents over there."

He nodded

"Can I come with you to make sure you get to them safe."

He paused and then nodded again. The best idea to keep out of sight was going to be to hide with a human. She reached down a hand to him, and he gave her the end of his sleeve to which she seemed rather bemused, but walked him through the crowd more quickly than he might have managed by himself.

She talked to him while she walked.

"Better to keep you safe when there is a dangerous people about."

Riss nodded.

"You don't talk much do you."

He nodded."

"Can you talk."
He shook his head.

"Oh I'm sorry sweetheart. I hope you don't mind me talking for the both of us then."