Chapter Seventeen

"Are you ready?" Gally asked as he handed me a spear and grabbed one for himself.

He kept glancing at the doors, waiting for the grievers to come barging through at any moment.

Was I ready for this? No, I was not.

"Yeah," I replied.

The sun was setting behind the walls and boys were frantically lighting torches in order to see the beasts.

Newt came walking up beside me and handed me a torch. I stuck it in the ground and waited, chewing on my lip in anticipation.

My body seemed to be giving out on me. I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open and the spear in my hand seemed heavier than it did yesterday night.

Once again, they could be heard before we saw them. A griever screeched inside the maze.

I was really doing this.

I began to panic, but I was more curious of what would come next.

This was a good idea. I was saving a boy tonight.

The grievers came charging through the door.

Gally grabbed my hand and squeezed. I looked up to him as he looked at me.

In a quick motion I stood on my tippy toes and pressed my lips against his.

In that moment, time froze. It was just me and Gally. The grievers were not there and everything was perfect.

I pulled away and smiled.

A couple of the boys gasped.

Gally was obviously shocked because his jaw hung slightly and his eyes were wide.

Letting go of his hand, I dropped my spear and ran forward.

I could hear the boys calling for me. Telling me to come back and that I was crazy, but I kept going.

As soon as they were only about ten yards away, I stopped.

The grievers did the same, probably wondering why I wasn't fighting or running away.

I dropped to my knees and a tear went down my cheek.

The grievers hesitated, then one rushed forward and wrapped its metal claw around me, lifting me off the ground.

It hurt, but I didn't say anything as the moster pulled me into the maze.

I looked back in time to see Gally running after us. I locked eyes with him and gave him a gental smile.

"Joan," his voice echoed down the walls as he disappeared in the distance.

As they carried me away, I shut my eyes and let myself relax. Even though the situation was not ideal, I felt like I could finally sleep.

I could sleep without worrying about hurting someone.

I hummed as the monsters carried me further away from the only place I know and the only person I trust.

My mind shut down and everything went black.

I was sitting in the tree grove, back in the glade. It was empty now and weirdly silent.

Then there was movement beside me. I looked over to see Gally sitting a ways away. His cheeks were tear stained and his shoulders slacked.

"Gally," I said, but he didn't seem to hear me.

I tried to get up, but was unable to move.

I sighed and looked back to him. He looked so broken down and helpless.

Then, like water, everything became blurry and I was back in the lab.

A woman with blonde hair, almost white, was looking at me. She had a smile plastered on her face.

I heard a scream. I quickly turned around and saw a girl locked in a glass cage. She didn't look like a girl anymore.

Her hair was matted and her veins were dark. She drooled and black slime fell from her lips. Her eyes were dark, almost black and she stared at me like I was food.

I reached out and so did the girl. I froze.

It wasn't a cage, it was a mirror. I was looking at my own reflection.

•••●●•••

So if you are confused, the ending that was in italics was a dream.