Chapter Twenty

"Hello. My name is Doctor Ava Paige. I'm Director of Operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching his, that means you have successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you... but circumstances seem to have prevented it."

The video continued on and we all watched.

When I saw the video of the deranged looking person, I thought of my dream I had. I looked just like that in the mirror. And that was the lady who was looking at me.

As she continued, things began to piece together in my mind, but the excruciating pain and blood loss was making it hard to focus.

My vision began to get blurry and then my legs gave out from under me.

Collapsing to the ground, I knew that this was the end of the road for me.

"Joan," Thomas said and rushed to my side.

"I was a test for the maze, Thomas. I am not supposed to make it past this point. This is my end," I sputtered.

"No. No Joan. We made it out already. We are so close," he grabbed my hand.

I sighed and dropped my head. I was surprised to see Gally to my left.

"Gally?" I asked.

He had a gun and was pointing it to Thomas.

"He has been stung."

I saw how he was foaming at the mouth and his eyes were dark. He wasn't in the right state of mind.

"We can't leave," he said as his eyes began to water.

"We did. Gally, we are out. We are free," Thomas attempted to comfort him.

"Free? You think we are free out there? No. No, there is no escape from this place," he was crying now and the gun was shaking in his hand.

"Gally," I said shakily.

He looked at me and his face seemed to soften for a moment, then it turned cold again.

"You're not thinking straight," I tried to pull myself up but cried out instead.

"Just put the gun down. We can help you," Thomas said.

"I belong to the maze. We all do," Gally said and pulled the trigger.

"No," I cried out.

I expected to see Thomas shot, but when Chuck fell to the ground, my mind went blank and everything moved in slow motion.

The boy had saved Thomas.

Thomas dropped to his knees to hold the dying Chuck. I watched the boy give Thomas the figure of his parents.

Now Thomas would be carrying two of those.

I looked to Gally and saw the spear sticking from his chest.

"Gally," hot tears poured from my eyes.

This room was full of death today.

Doors opened and people began rushing in. I panicked for the others. Where they getting taken by WCK? I calmed when a man insured that everyone was safe now.

Newt rushed to my side and began to pull me up.

"No," I fought back. "Go Newt. It's to late for me."

Newt looked at the pool of blood that was puddling where I sat and took a deep breath.

"We can't leave you," he protested and  sorrow flashed across his face.

"Keep him safe Newt," I whispered and grabbed his hand. "Get them out of here."

He opened his mouth to say more, but a man dressed in soldier attire grabbed his shoulder and pulled him down the hall. The others were pushed away with him.

I saw Thomas look back and reach out for me just before the door closed.

The helicopter choppers soon faded into the distance and an eerie silence fell over the room.

Looking over to Chuck, I shuttered.

A groan came from Gally and my attention was all on him in a matter of seconds.

I crawled to his side, in much pain, and lay in front of him, blocking his view of Chuck. Gally didn't need to see what he just did.

"Well Gally," I whispered as a tear trailed down my cheek. "At least my ending is with you."

I reached over and took his hand into my own.

"Joan," his hoarse voice could barely be heard.

"Shh," I leaned over and placed a kiss on his lips.

He tasted like salty tears.

"You are such a pain in the ass," I said and slowly closed my eyes.

A dark calmness surrounded me and all the events of the past days flooded my memories.

From my first moments in the box to the little moments with Gally, everything that was important filled my heart with joy.

Chucks laugh, Frypans jokes, even Gally's rare smile.

I could only remember a few days, yet they seemed enough for me.

Laying by Gally, this seemed like the best way to go.

"It was you Joan," Gally's whisper could barely be heard. "It was always you."

I didnt have enough energy to reply and he wasnt making any sense, so instead I hummed and stroked circles on Gally's hand until I could no longer.