Chapter Thirteen

"Joan!"

I could hear Gally's cry from across the glade.

The grievers came through the doors about an hour ago and everything was already going to klunk.

Gally and Newt shoved as many boys as possible into the box, but the rest were currently fending for themselves in the animal pens and the homestead.

I was outside the homestead, spear in hand, fighting one of the monsters.

My body seemed slower due to the exhaustion.

"Come on!" I screamed at the two grievers who seemed to mock me as they danced around.

As soon as one lunged from my left I swung my knife at it. The other one grabbed me with its metal leg.

I stuck the blade in its joints between the metal.

It shrieked and dropped me.

A sharp pain shot through my arm as I hit the ground but I jumped to my feet just in time to see spears stick into the grievers soft bellies.

Gally and a group of boys stood a ways a way, yelling at the beasts.

Then, as if a switch flipped, they turned and left.

"They got Frankie," someone yelled from the animal pens.

"Shit," Gally said. He looked to me and sighed.

"Are you alright?" He asked and walked forward.

"Yeah," I said and watched the grievers leave through the east door.

"Are you bleeding?" He asked.

I looked down to my arm. Ruby red blood soaked through my jacket sleeve.

I landed on my knife when I fell.

"No?" I tucked my arm behind myself.

"That isn't a question you should answer with another question," Gally snapped and grabbed my arm.

"Gally I am fine," I groaned.

"You need sewed," he wrapped his hand around my shoulder and guided me to the med jacks.

"Gally," I protested.

"Slim it."

Once inside, Jeff rushed forward.

"Thats a good one. I can get it stitched up," he said.

"I got it," Gally said. "Go help the others."

Gally grabbed a needle and disinfectant. He moved around the room like it was just another daily occurrence.

"You know how to stitch up people," I asked.

"I had to try out for med jacks just like everyone else," he said. "This is going to sting."

Gally dumped the sanitation on my cut. I grabbed his hand and hissed. He gently squeezed it and patted the wound clean.

His brow was furrowed with concentration and he held his bottom lip between his teeth.

"So serious," I teased.

He smiled and the mood lightened.

"They are only taking one a night," he said as he thread the needle.

"I noticed that too."

As he stuck the needle in and pulled the thread through my skin, I watched his nimble fingers work.

Behind the mask of power and control, he was a scared and beautiful boy, just trying to make it to see another day.

I reached my other arm up and placed it on the side of his face.

He froze and jerked away from my touch, then slowly leaned back into my palm and closed his eyes.

He took a shaky breath. It seemed like he had never been touched with affection before.

Thinking about it though, when had he? He was so busy putting up a hard exterior that he didn't have time to be soft. The other boys were scared of him.

He was alone.

He looked into my eyes and we stayed like that for a while.

Just a monster and a scared boy.

I rubbed my thumb along his cheek then placed my hand back in my lap.

He cleared his throat, "You need sleep."

"I'm fine Gally," I looked out the door.

He moved the lantern so he could see my arm better and continued to sew.

"You will sleep eventually," he said as he cut the thread.

"But not tonight," I muttered.

He stepped back and looked at me arm. Then his gaze traveled over my body.

I felt suddenly aware of how I probably looked. Then again, I don’t even know what I look like.

"What do I look like?" I asked.

He looked me over again.

"Like a girl," he smartly stated.

"I would have never guess," I said and rolled my eyes.

He rocked back on his feet and smirked.

"You have brown eyes. But not normal brown eyes. They have little flecks of gold in them. Your hair is brown, but when the sun hits it just right, it has some red to it. And your nose and cheeks have freckles scattered across them. Your nose turns up at the end just a little bit," he said.

Gally's face suddenly turned red, "Ugliest shank I have ever seen."

I snorted.

He was almost being sweet, of course he had to mess it up.

I jumped off the table and brushed past him, muttering that he was an ass as I walked out.

Once I was farther away, I felt a smile creep onto my face.

•••●●•••

Gally has a crush!!

Thank you for reading this. I think there is like two of you, and you two are the best!

Happy reading!!