Chapter Six

"We don't even know what this stuff is. We don't know who sent it. Or why it came up here with you. For all we know, this thing could kill him," Newt said to Thomas as we stood over Alby.

He looked even worse that this morning.

"He is already dying. Look at him, how could this possibly make it any worse?"

"Wow Tom, really bright outlook you have on things," I scoffed.

"I'm serious Joan, he looks bad," he pointed to Alby.

"Yeah, I see him and I agree," I nodded.

Thomas and Teresa talked to me about all they discussed on the look out. While I couldn't remember anything, I did tell them that the first name I thought of was Thomas and that I think I knew him before all this.

He agreed with me, but it seemed like he was holding something back.

They both actually seemed distant, like they weren't telling me the whole truth about something. I think they even keep a few feet away from me at all times.

They were really hiding something.

"Come on Newt," I said.

"Alright, alright. Do it," Newt said.

"Thanks Newt," I said and patted his arm.

As Thomas leaned over to give Alby the shot, Alby grabbed him and began thrashing him around.

"You shouldn't be here! You shouldn't be here," Alby yelled into Thomas's face.

I quickly grabbed the syringe and stuck it into Alby. He calmed and his breathing went to normal.

"Well that worked," Jeff and I said in unison. "You good Thomas?"

He nodded and straightened his shirt.

"Well, that worked. Okay, from now on... someone stays here and watches him around the clock," Newt said with violent hand gestures.

They told me that Alby was the first one up in the maze. Newt must've trusted him more than anymore and seeing him like this obviously worried Newt more than anything.

"Hey Newt, I'm sorry for attacking you and holding a knife to your throat," I quickly said as I remembered today's earlier events.

"No worries," he was still focusing on Alby.

Gally opened the door, just in time to miss the hard work of course.

"Sundown, Greenie. Time to go," he said to Thomas but then quickly locked eyes with me.

I quickly looked away after I noticed I was staring like a total creep.

Why was I staring at Gally?

I mean, he wasn't bad to look at.

No, stop it Joan. Focus on what's going  on. I shook my head, trying to clear it of my strange thoughts of Gally.

I walked out of the shack biting my lip in thought, when I realized it was finally dark.

The day was over.

What a hell of a day. It seemed like it went on forever.

I looked up and saw the stars. I couldn't remember the stars very well.

These were vibrant and bri-

"Hey!"

A voice from behind me made me jump.

I turned and saw chuck.

"Jeez Chuck, you scared me," I put my hand over my heart.

"Sorry Joan. I was wondering if you wanted to go help me steal food from the kitchen for Thomas?"