Chapter Sixteen

I sat in a hammock, slowly swing back and forth as I carved on a piece of wood. The sun rose a while ago and the heat felt good as I sunburned.

Chuck was next to me, giving me pointers on how to turn the wood into a person shape, just like his.

I was carving this person for my parent's, just like Chuck had. But I planned to give it to Thomas before I left.

I hadn't told anyone of my plan, because I knew that no one would approve. Especially Gally.

Which didn't make any sense to me. He was all for banishing me to make a statement, but at the same time he was overly protective.

I carved lips onto my person and showed it to Chuck. He nodded his head and gave me a thumbs up.

"Thanks for everything, Rugrat. You are the best," I said and ruffled his hair.

I jumped from the hammock and walked to Thomas.

Teresa hadn't left his side.

"Hey," I said quietly.

She gave me a fake smile.

Gently, I brushed back Thomas's hair from his forehead and placed the small figure in his hand.

"Take care of him Teresa," I looked to her. "Always think of him."

She pursed her lips and gave a curt nod. She didn't like me at all, but I didn't care. I didn't like her much either and I think she knows that.

"He should be waking up soon," Newt said as he walked in. "The bloody shank."

I laughed. He was a shank. A stupid shank.

"Thank you Newt," I stood and grabbed his hand. "Thank you for always believing in me."

He smiled and gave my hand a quick squeeze before I let it go.

I leaned over and kissed Thomas's head. "Thanks brother." I said against his skin and left the room.

"Minho," I yelled and jogged up to him.

He was sitting under a tree writing in a notebook.

"Whatcha writting?" I asked and plopped down beside him.

"Notes about the maze," he said and closed the book.

"You will get out of here," I said and crossed my arms around my knees.

"I know we will," he said with a smile.

"Thank you for helping Thomas. I know we never got that close, but I can tell you are a great person," I patted his shoulder and stood back up.

"You are a good person too, Joan. No matter what the creators made you," he smiled.

What the creators made me.

Walking away, I crossed Thomas, Newt, and Minho off my mental list of people too say goodbye to before I sacrificed myself tonight.

Next on the list was Gally.

I saw him working on the council hall roof, trying to stand it back up and make everything normal again.

I watched him shove a log underneath one of the supporting beams only to have another section fall.

"How is that working out for you?" I asked.

He grumbled and kept trying, "Can you help rather than just stand there?"

I shot forward and held up one log as he placed another under the other beam. Together we slowly got the roof standing once again.

"Still looks bad," Gally said as we stood back and looked at the building.

"Probably because you built it," I joked.

He playfully shoved my arm.

"Hey Gally, go easy on the boys. Not all of them can put up a strong exterior like you can. They are just kids," I said.

He looked in the distance like he was thinking for a moment.

"We will get through this Joan," he finally said and put a hand on my shoulder.

"I know you will," I smiled and pulled him into another hug.

This time he gladly excepted it and our bodies melted together.

He smelt of freshly cut wood and grass mixed with saltly sweat.

His hard muscles flexed under my touch as he took a deep breath.

"Thank you Joan," he said.

"For what?"

"Giving me hope. Giving all of us hope," he wrapped his arms around me tighter.

I nodded and felt tears sting my eyes.

Was I doing the right thing by leaving? Yes. I didn't want another boy to have to go through that. And I was a monster. I belonged to the maze.

I looked to the sky.

The sun hung directly above us. Around noon. I had half a day before it was time.

"Hey Gally," I pulled from the hug.

"Hmm?" He asked.

"Will you show me something happy?"

"What?" He looked confused.

"Show me something that makes you happy in the glade," I insisted.

He looked around, thinking of something, then grabbed my hand and pulled me after him.

After a while of walking, we were in the tree grove. Dead leaves crunched under my feet as we walked farther into the forest.

Then he sat down and pulled me down next to him.

"Close your eyes," Gally said.

I looked over at him to see his eyes were already closed and he looked almost at peace. I closed my eyes and listened.

I heard the boys talking in the distance. And the goats bleating in their pens, wanting out for the day. Birds chirped and Frypan clanked pots together as he worked on a meal.

I heard all the sounds of a home.

"It is beautiful," I said.

"Yes it is," Gally replied.

I opened my eyes and looked to Gally. He was already looking at me.

He quickly looked away and said, "I will always remember the Glade like this."

"Me too."

I leaned my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes again.

We sat there for a long time.

I was glad to spend my last day in the glade with Gally.