Chapter Four

"You stay out of my way, and I won't hurt you," Gally snapped as I walked beside him.

I rolled my eyes. He was so full of it.

"So, how long have you been here?" I skipped to keep up with him.

Where were we even going? We are literally in a box.

"Long enough," he mumbled and I saw him glance at me from the corner of his eye.

Noticing my confused look, he sighed, "three years, I think. I try not to count, it makes time go slower."

If he was really in here for three years, they must've been sent up here around four years ago or something like that.

I nodded. "How-"

He cut me off, "No more questions, alright. I got enough on my mind."

"And you think I don't. This is still my first day, remember," I crossed my arms and stopped walking.

He turned and walked back to me, "Right, how could I forget. How could I forget the fact that everything is changing and no one seems to care?"

"I care," I crossed my arms.

"How could you care? You don't even understand," he scoffed.

"Well then thats on you because you are the one who explained everything to me."

He shot me a dirty look before he turned and continued on.

I raced to catch up, but ended up tripping and falling onto the dirt ground.

Then, just like that, I remembered.

Joan.

My name is Joan.

"Are you alright?" Gally asked and pulled me upright like I weighed nothing. "You tripped over nothing."

"Joan," I proclaimed. "I am Joan."

"Well, nice to meet you Joan," he gave a quick, almost sincere smile, but it was gone in the blink of an eye.

We continued walking.

It was nice to have my own name at least. Something to hold onto in these confusing times.

I bet the boys have felt confused their entire time here. At least they have set up a good system. For a bunch of boys, they are organized.

"So you are the watcher over the builders?"

"The keeper," he corrected. "And didn't I tell you no more questions?"

"You know, if you weren't so rude, you would be tolerable," I turned and walked in the opposite direction he was going.

"Where are you going?" He yelled after me, but I didn't stop. "Joan, wait up!"

I walked faster.

"Look, maybe if the situation was different, like lets say you came up in the box two years ago and everything else was normal, maybe I would be less concerned. But you, you are no good," he grabbed my arm and yanked me to face him.

"I didn't chose any of this Gally!" I pulled away from him and kept walking back to the biggest building in the glade. "I'm going to find someone who doesn't think I'm out to murder everyone."

"Joan, I don't think you are going to murder everyone," he yelled after me. "I just don't think you are good."

I raised my middle finger in the air and kept walking.

I got to the shack just as Thomas and the other got back.

"Thomas! What did you guys find?" I blurted out as they were in ear shot.

Minho held up some strange device and they rushed into the building.

Newt passed by me in a hurry to the building. He still had a limp. Did I really kick him that hard earlier?

I watched as boys filed into the door.

"Hi," a small voice beside me made me jump.

I looked down to see a small boy with curly hair and freckles littering his cheeks.

"Why hello there," I smiled.

"I'm Chuck," he reached out his hand and I gladly took it.

"Joan. Hey would you like to eavesdrop with me?"

His face lit up.

Moments later we found ourselves outside the wooden wall, straining to listen in.

"Can you hear anything?" I asked Chuck.

His pudgy face was smooshed up against the wood and his nose was red.

"I think Gally wants to punish Thomas for breaking the rules," he whispered.

Of course he does. He seems so against change that he almost hates it. Maybe he is just scared of it.

Then a furious Gally came storming out. He looked over at us and shook his head before he kept walking.

"Hope you enjoyed the show," he yelled.

"Actually I thought it was quite borning," I shrugged and Chuck giggled.

"I better go talk to him," I groaned.

"I wouldn't if I were you. Gally mad is scary," Chuck shuttered as if he was thinking of an event.

"I'll be alright Chuck. Thanks for helping me," I ruffled up his hair and ran after Gally.

It was sad to see even kids were in this place. Chucks seemed about as harmless as butterfly, yet here he was.

Seeing him made me just want to get these guys out of here even more. No matter what it took, I would make sure Chuck got out of here.

•••●●•••

Hope you are enjoying this:)