Chapter Five

"Gally! Wait up!" I shouted as I raced after him.

His long strides were two of mine.

"What shank?" He turned and snapped.

"Look, I understand that you are afraid of change," I said.

"I am not afraid of change!" He yelled.

"Will you just shut it for a minute!" I yelled back. "Listen to me."

He opened his mouth but I shushed him.

"Just look at this from others point of view. Others want out. I know you don't trust Thomas, but he is finding a way out. Respect that at least," I said.

He opened his mouth again but another boy ran up to us.

"The girl, well the other girl, is awake," he announced then ran off.

Gally and I looked to each other before we took off running in the same direction the boy just did.

We arrived to a group hold pots and pans over their heads as random objects came flying from something that looked like a look out tower.

"I don't think she likes us very much," Newt laughed as he pulled me under something so I wouldn't get hit.

"Girls are awesome," Chuck said as Thomas and Minho showed up.

"Thanks Chuck," I yelled to him and he gave me a thumbs up.

"Hey, throw one more of those things- ow," Gally got cut off as something hit his head.

"You really know your way with women," I smirked at him and he glared at me.

"Hey it's Thomas, it's Thomas," Thomas shouted and the flying objects came to a halt.

"I'm gonna come up, okay?" He said.

I reached out and grabbed his arm, "You sure? I can come up with you if you want."

"I'll be fine," he said.

I nodded and let go of his arm.

"Don't be stupid Thomas, well stupider than usual," I mummbeled.

My brow furrowed as I thought. I didn't know why, but it felt completely natural to insult him like that. It was almost normal feeling. Out of this whole day, that was the most normal thing.

I chuckled.

"What is it?" Newt asked.

"Everything," I laughed.

"This has been an interesting first day for you," he said and looked back up to Thomas as he climbed the ladder. "Other greenies probably would be curled up in a ball crying by now."

"Well, it doesn't seem like I can really control anything so I might as well roll with it. No point in freaking out. It isn't going to help any," I said with pursed lips.

Inside I was freaking out. Panic, fear, and curiosity was all rolled up in a tangled mess inside me and I almost had a stomachache from it.

He nodded his head, "Good that."

Gally came walking over to us then, rubbing the back of his head.

"Does she have a good arm?" I asked.

"Oh shut it, first you then her, whats next?" He grumbled.

"Well I was hoping that she knocked some sense into ya, obviously not though," I said.

Newt laughed and covered it up with a cough.

Gally mumbled under his breath then walked away again.

"You two seem to get along," Newt used his elbow to push me lightly.

"Yeah, if thats what you call it," I chewed on my bottom lip, wondering what was happening with Thomas.

"Well if its any consolation, if anyone else said that, he would've hit them," Newt chuckled.

"What's going on up there?" Gally yelled.

Thomas peaked over the edge and I felt myself relax.

"Hey, listen," he started then looked back to the girl, "will you guys just give us a second, okay?"

Newt agreed and we all walked away.

"Hey Chuck," I said with a smile as the boy came shuffling up to me.

"Hi, that was awesome, especially when it hit Gally," he said with a laugh. His face quickly changed as I heard someone behind me.

I turned around to see an upset Gally.

"See ya," Chuck said and raced away.

He smirked.

"Wow, almost a smile. I didn't know you could do that," I laughed.

His smirk dropped.

"Always so serious," I said and playfully punched his arm.

His brows knitted together but I could see him holding back a smile.

"Hey," the other girl said as her and Thomas came running up to us, "I heard I came up in the box with you."

"Yeah, we were box buddies," I joked. "I thought you were dead. I'm Joan."

"I'm Teresa," she smiled.

"Hey Joan, will you come with us?" Thomas hurriedly asked as he kept glancing in the directions of the buildings.

I looked between them.

Why did they need me? Were they planning something? I had to find out.

"Sure," I said nonchalantly.

Gally gave me a warning look and I just shrugged.