Chapter Nine

I didn't struggle anymore. I just went limp. The dream and everything that happened seemed to connect.

Thomas was my brother.

I was a monster.

And we both were the cause of all this.

My bottom lip trembled as I thought of what I was. I was just as bad as the grievers. Like Gally said, I wasn't even human.

How did this happen?

"What should we do?" Jeff asked as he paced along the edge of my bed.

I looked between Gally and Newt. Gally had his arms crossed and I couldn't read his facial expressions.

Newt on the other hand was chewing on his thumb nail and was obviously distressed.

"I'll leave," I locked eyes with Gally. "I'll go into the maze. I don't want to hurt anyone."

A tear trailed down my cheek.

"Call a meeting," Newt said and left without looking back.

Gally walked up to me and crouched down. I didn't want to look at him anymore. His bruises was a reminder of what I did.

I jumped when his calloused thumb touched my cheek as he wiped away the tear and lingered a moment before he stood and walked away.

His warm touch left sparks racing across my soft skin and I felt my skin heat up.

I was blushing. Bushing in a time like this.

After what seemed like forever of laying in silence, a voice startled me.

"You are Thomas's sister."

I looked over to see Alby eyeing me. He looked better than before and his skin was turning back to his normal color. The sickly green almost unnoticeable.

Jeff jumped up and ran out of the room.

"Yes," I said and turned back to look at the ceiling.

"They did some messed up stuff, but what they did to you was just pure evil. You didn't deserve it," his voice was hoarse and shaky.

"None of you guys deserved this. I do. I did this to you," I whispered.

"No, it was Thomas. You tried to stop them, you tried to-"

He suddenly groaned in pain and twisted on his bed until he sat up. The veins in his forehead bulged. It was obvious he was in pain. I couldn't tell if it was physical or emotional.

Thomas and the others came barging in and ran to Ably's side.

Thomas glanced at me from the corner of his eye and a look of sadness overcame him for a moment until he focused back on Alby.

I locked eyes with Gally and he gave me a smile.

A feeling of warmth surrounded me and everything seemed a little less sad.

"Hey, Alby," Newt gently said.

"Alby, we might have just found a way out of the maze," Thomas stepped up. "Do you hear me? We could be getting out of here."

His hopeful voice was promising and inspiring. Thomas would get them out of the maze. He was their salvation.

But I was their destruction. I would always be part of the maze.

"We can't," Ably groaned. "We can't leave. They won't let us."

Thomas glanced at Newt and I then turned back to Ably. "What are you talking about?"

"I remember," he said. The more he said, the more pain I could see.

His eyes were watering and his bottom lip stuck out.

"What do you remember?"

"You," he shot back. "You were always their favorite, Thomas. Always. Why did you do this? Why did you come here?"

Tears fell down his cheek.

Ably was going crazy. All that he could remember was driving him to insanity.

A commotion erupted outside and Winston suddenly rushed in.

"Winston, what's going on?"

"It's the doors," he said frantically. "They aren't closing."

No, no, no, no...

The grievers would come in. The gladers had no chance against them.

I could help them. I was made the the creators to be like a griever. I knew the ins and outs of these monsters.

If I was cursed to be a killing machine, I would use it to fight back. Imagine the creators shock when one of their tests turned against them.

I remembered how I attacked Newt with ease and how one of the first things I remembered was punching a punching bag.

I was made to fight.

"Thomas," I sat up. "Thomas you gotta let me go! I can help!"

He looked around at all the other gladers until his gaze landed on Teresa. She pursed her lips and they seemed to be having a conversation with a look.

Without saying anything Gally stepped forward and quickly undid my hands.

"Thank you Gally," I whispered.

He nodded and helped me up.